Trials only lead to celebration



"On the corner of a busy street in Louisville… I was suddenly overwhelmed with the realization that I loved all of these people… I suddenly saw the secret beauty of their hearts, which neither sin nor desire nor self-knowledge can reach the core of their reality, the person that each one is in God's eyes. If only they could all see themselves as they really are."
(Thomas Merton - from conjectures of a guilty bystander)

The other day at course I was introduced to this quote from Thomas Merton, how I fall in love with the words and wished that I wrote it! It is so breath taking… it is like when at a train station or even on the busy train/tram/bus, you look around and the whole world pauses. Pauses just for a second, in that moment you look at all the people before you that are in their own little world and feel so much love towards them all, and I mean ALL of them. When traveling oversea I often found myself where people are everywhere and I recall those moments like Thomas has written so beautiful - I call them my God moments, seeing like God sees - How I wish I had more of those moments the world changes, as too do  I. 

Yesterday I was very fortunate to go and help the Riding for the Disable - now I have to confess that the main reason behind this was for the horses!! Even when I meet sister afterwards the first thing I talked about was the horses! I have not completely worked it out however been near horses gives me a solid feeling….. they bring me closer to nature in some way, bring memories of youth and riding back in my home country. Plus I know their language, its second nature to me which was very helpful the other day! 

I arrived with no expectations just that I will have contact with horses! It was a training day, so went prepared for once with a raincoat!! (I know amazing first! slowly learning the meaning of four season in one day!) I arrived early which was rather a blessing as I got to meet Australian Gold Medalist Horse rider - not the horse who was in the stables, so that is to come - plus got to talk to the other volunteers, getting more insight into what I was signing up for. After the paper work, we headed down to the outdoor arena, where some of the riders had turned up and the horses were been walked around warming up. 
While doing the paper work the leader said that only 20% of volunteers stay, so out of the eight that were present she hoped to get at least two people that would stay. I was shocked, yet as the day slowly progressed, her prediction was correct with two of us left after two hours. 

We don't get to 'ride' the horses per say, after all there is the rather large part of the volunteer program title - for the disable!! Its more a case of ensuring all the right equipment is on the horses for the rider, supporting them getting on and off the horse and also leading the horse, supporting the rider while on the horse. So there is a lot going on, plus all the small jobs like sweeping tracks to ensure the wheelchairs have a clear path, cleaning up after the horses, both in the arena and also in the paddock. sort equipment and my favorite the 'grooming' / I say loving the horse. There is never any shortage of things to do HOWEVER I can see very clearly why so many people leave as you have to see the beauty in the small things. It is a full workout so no run needed at the end of the day, by the evening I was so sore and know that in the coming months I will have built great upper body strength. 

It is unavoidable for the riders to touch you, their trials only lead to celebrations while riding - how at times I wish I could see life through their eyes - there was a young boy about eight who was in a wheelchair, having a mental and physical disability. He appeared angry, grumpy and I wondered if it was wise to put him on the horse, (horses do sense human emotions and can react to them) … yet I learnt very fast that the horse was magic medicine that goes straight to the source giving so much joy. He was laughing, smiling and could see him trying to engage with the horse. It was beautiful!! Something so simple transformed him… another young girl about five who is physically disabled went on the horse about ten minutes of the horse walking around she fall asleep. Her mother was so pleased as she hadn't slept for a few days and was relieved to see her baby girl sleeping. The girl left in her mothers arms to return home asleep the afternoon away. 

I hope that the other volunteers realize that they need to see beauty in the small, they have to open their eyes and see that by been present enables these individuals to be apart of a community, gain a medicine that is so natural, feeds the soul to its core and fills them so it overflows with some catching onto you. I would spend all day picking up horse droppings if it meant that just one person could gain this medicine… (note this is the number one reason people leave the volunteering program as they have to clean up after the horses at times… crazy!!) 

Just like Thomas clearly says its the most amazing feeling to see into someone else, see that core of reality, that you can only see Christ looking back at you… I am so thankful that my love for horses has lead me here, thank you Lord…. I know that in the coming weeks I still have so much to learn from the riders yet look forward to sharing my love of horses with them in exchange for the opportunity to walk beside them for one day a week. 





RDA Australia video - we don't do all these at the place I'm at, mainly just therapy, walking, games, having fun.






Comments

Popular Posts