I am what i eat!



The other week when I was teaching art at school I was alarmed at the amount of information from television the students had picked up, retained and acted out both verbally and much to my delight physically!!
I started to become a little more aware of the meaning behind the saying - You are what you eat!
The food we place into our bodies correlates with how healthy we are and the energy we have. We are taught this when younger and through media or others when older. While there is a focus on what is placed into our bodies through our mouthes, I think there is not enough priority placed on the teachings of what we put into our bodies through the mind. 
The mind is an amazing example of Gods magical creation that our humanness can not comprehend fully the complication of its functions, beauty and make up. Maybe the mind is like a Google search engine! It delivers information that has been loaded in by us over a life time; so that we can access that information to solve problems in the present moment. What looks at and uses the mind is the soul or personally - me. The Brain is the switch board between spirit, mind and body. 
The notion that if we consume 'trash' then we become unhealthy can be applied for consumption through the mouth and eyes/ears. I can not help think that this will flow into our relationships, perspectives, our being and certainty into our faith. 
I have to admit I am normally very aware of what I consume. Most certainly physically, as even in the time I have been here I have tried so many new foods. Back in Nz I was taught before I left to embrace seasoning and let the taste buds dance in delight with new favors. Yet more importantly I am aware of my environment, I think this is part of the reason I don't often watch much television, nor movies, try to be aware of what I read etc. As I so easy absorb what is around me.
The Old Testament speaks often about the idols that people let into their lives that bring destruction. I think there are so many idols in our world today; all look appealing on some level yet are destructive and bring separation from Christ. 
I know Im idealistic at times, however am under no illusion that while we all have food delicacies that we indulge in every now and again, we also have other treats in our lives that we like to enjoy. Im sure the Lord would never frown upon this and if you think he would, then a more serious question needs to be asked about what kind of God you have. 
It is only when we overindulge that they can take over and cause us to be unhealthy. Im not talking about just cake here!! Over spending, not prioritizing family before material or work, not giving your best etc; lets be real we all have times and seasons in our lives but if we allow our little splurges to become a lifestyle then things can get ugly!!
I guess the question is really more about what makes me healthy and unhealthy and I need to stop and look to see what is on the menu!


Comments

Popular Posts