Nakedness

This morning I opened my inbox to be greeted by my nieces art work, she painted me a picture of a dog! Not bad for a 1.5 year old - Im a proud Aunty!!


But Lord, you are Our Father. We are like clay, and you are the potter; your hands made us all. (Isaiah 64:5)
I love art, its an expression of the soul that feeds all the senses showing beauty that is otherwise not seen right away. Art in all its various forms, enables others to connect to the world, a world that has different views and structure yet the median of art allows it all to be interconnected for a moment with all differences placed aside. The right book, music, play, dance or photography can change everything and show for just a moment there are other eyes, voices and hearts that sing the same song, telling a tale. Art takes a life of its own apart of its creator - its organic - visual poetry!
I love the creative outlet it provides for people to show a little of themselves. Its amazing what a mixture of color, texture and what the viewers perspective can form from a simple yet elegant pencil or brush stoke. 
I remember when I was at university while doing my education degree I didn't feel like that was enough so took on a fine arts degree at the polytech also, something to meet my creative side! The classes were mainly early evenings and worked around my university timetable. 
One evening I turn up to class, with pencil and paper in hand ready to learn more about pencil shading. The previous class we had spent a couple of hours on fruit - been a perfectionist I didn't mind. I was eagerly awaiting for the subject for the day when a man appeared. I would have just turn 18 years old, dear I admit that I would have never seen a man naked before, yet alone be in a situation where I would have to steer at him for a couple of hours for two weeks to draw him. 
I recall that in my drawing I did his upper body life-like then put shorts on him, so I still get the details of the lower legs. I recall my art instructor calling me back after I hand in my piece for assessment. He asked why I had placed an item of clothing over a beautiful subject. I explain to him that his full nakedness was not required to see his beauty, you can see it when only half naked. I don't remember what the art teacher said, I did pass the course so must not had too much of an impact. 
When I look back now, I think its amazing to see how my view on things have changed so much. Half nakedness, what was I thinking!! 
I love the concept that our God is the master artist, the canvas is life and we are the instruments - the brushes that color the canvas. I think that been half naked is not a possibility nor really something to be embraced. Been an artist and wanting to create the masterpiece ourselves is limiting. To be naked is to be transparent, with no inhibitions, or worries or pride! After all God already knows all our weaknesses and faults so we are not hiding anything from him; it makes me wonder if really we are just hiding from ourselves. 
Let's come as we are so that He can make a priceless masterpiece, be it the imagery of potter and clay, canvas and paint, paper and pencil… really does not matter as He has already started if we just look within we will see its beauty of the artist already forming!

Comments

Popular Posts