The Promised Land


With Immigration - whether voluntary or involuntary - making up a huge part of Australia's story over the last couple of hundred years I thought a trip to the Immigration Museum was a must. Yesterday on a grey windy day I thought it would be perfect day to fill my mind with history and gain a deeper insight into how the country I am staying is has been formed. 

Logic teaches me that looking through the lens of an immigrate is very different to that of a citizen or even tourist or even the likes of me!! The Museum in my opinion fall short especially when addressing modern day immigration. It does focus on Melbourne rather than Australia as a whole, which is understandable as this country is not small and all states have different histories. 

I was a little skeptical on arriving as the first thing that caught my attention was a quote from Australian writer Arnold Zable  - 
"ours is a nation of immigrants and indigenous peoples, a new world with an ancient 
past a grand symphony with many melodies" 


This left me with a sense that I wondered, I hoped that there was no political agenda behind some of their display, there was an openness that was present in terms of the policy the government had embraced, the raw racist media that was used to attack immigrates or attract British people to the country. As I walked around I got the sense that the image painted of Australia as been one of a promised land for all those around the world that for numerous reasons had to leave their home land. There was a bit of 'pulling at the heart strings' in terms of illustrating hard luck stories of immigrants rather than confronting the hard questions about what drives immigration policy. 

Please don't mistake my somewhat negative view, as the museum did have many insightful facts…. 
A couple of things that stand out for me - 

My dear friend told me that driving is a skill that can open many doors, it gives you freedom, interdependence and if times become extremely hard you can use this skill to make a living. So its a very important skill to have - I wish she would share her wisdom with the Australian government!!

I was taken by a story about a young Iran man who brought his family to Australia for religious freedom. He and his brother had no skills, yet were accepted into the country, as this was after they lifted the 'White Australian Policy' They turn to a skill they had which was driving and became taxi drivers yet it got to a point it was simply came out of their reach!!

In 1970s to gain a taxi license it was $17,000 compare this to now its $480,000 (yes that is the right amount of 0) 
Therefore this in itself is making it out of reach for many new migrants. Today people can gain lease license for $24,000 per annual … illustrating that the industry is highly regulated, no entitlements or investment opportunities. There is a risk factor, long hours, insecurities and no silver lining!

Makes me also wonder if the government even cares about the environment because if they lifted some of the regulations it would have an on flowing effect. There would be more access into the industry creating competition therefore less private cars on the roads - better for our air - more people able to use the service which not only helps those drivers earn a good wage to support their families, however it goes back into the economy - win / win. In an aging society this can only been seen as a benefit taking away danger on the roads, giving people a sense of freedom still within a safe transportation method. 
It is simple really!! A very small change could open the doors a little wider benefiting more people, helping the economy. I sense the government would not even entertain the idea as it wouldn't be advancing their 'Australian people' it would be helping those who wish to establish a life for themselves in this country ' the promise land' and history shows this is something they do not easy favor. Who are the Australian people anyway, this country is made up of people who can identify with more than 270 ancestries and speak almost 400 languages including 164 Koorie and Torres Strait languages. 

There are so many highlights, thought provoking things that I learnt and have to yet process. It would had been nice to see a mention of how the various communities have contributed to the culture of the country … there was a very brief feel good stories at the end about how people have established a life, a story of gratitude to the Australian government for letting those individuals yet no larger picture view of the contributions made by what immigrants brought to this country.
There was no mention of current immigration detention camps, or current statistics or the process to gain entry now in 2015. 

There was a dictation test and also a written test which I failed both! So Australia would never accept me, apart from my British ancestor side! I have to admit the dictation test was design so that if you past then your do it again in other languages or even in the same language yet the speaker speaks faster as I discovered. Even with shorthand there was no way an english speaker could keep up!!

So overall I have concluded that the nations identity continues to remain in a state of fear of multiculturalism and immigration from non-European countries. Since the mid 1990s the government support for multicultural polices and organizations has decreased even to the extend of help with funding language programs for immigrants. This promise land comes at a cost for a lot of people. 


I looked at the luggage that was on display when I was on the second floor - there was a small suitcase from 1950s, a larger case from 1887 followed by a typical bigger suitcase from 2002. However what this luggage actually shows is the raw insight into migration experience. It is not just a physical symbol of what has been brought materialistically yet rather what is left behind including hopes and fears as they leave one life to begin another - what a small insight through the lens of migrate - what a cost on both sides to live in this 'Promised Land!'


Comments

Popular Posts