In the company of royalty


Awake from your slumber arise from your sleep! A new day is dawning to all those who weep 

From the moment I awoke this tune and lyrics were running through my body and mind all through the day. Aware of their depth and meaning I felt like it was a gentle reminder of how to walk. When up and ready, not to sit still, but be apart; let us walk, walk together! Christianity teaches us how to walk so as to please the Lord, who ever sees us. Walk honestly as in the day; avoiding the works of darkness… a rather strong message for first thing in the morning I must say, yet I embraced as the day opened upon me. 


Normal routine started to happen with morning prayer followed by a journey to forest hill where we celebrated mass. 
The sun rise was once again breath taking, with not a cloud in sight and the air fresh as my lungs filled. 
On return to the house we had coffee and sat in the sun talking away. 


After awhile, Therese, Botshelo and myself went to meet the Bishop. Polite advice given to me before hand to simply nod and smile not say anything directly to him. I took this with a grain of salt, after all, it was only a few days previous we had the privilege to have NZ bishop come meet the Sisters and dine with us in Australia. My experience, education has taught me that respect is required indeed yet the bishop to a certain point is no different from you or I. 


Traveling to the city, it was explain to me that originally the only tar roads was around the center block of the main street, illustrating just how much the city has developed over the past twenty or so years. Arriving at the cathedral I was half expecting some traditional stone structure of western influenced, yet surprise to see what appeared like a concert hall. On the outside they had grotto dedicated to Mother Mary. There was a kind hearted women who spends her days brushing the leaves and ensuring its at a very high standard. Very devotional and was taken back by the image of someone so dedicated.
Upon arrival we went to meet Bishop Valentine Tsamma Seane. His greeting was warm, he left me with the sense that he was a business man at heart, yet had a love for the people, focus on gathering the community together in union and empowering younger generations, especially towards vocations. 
Our purpose of the visit was to get the program approved for the profession, yet while going through the details it was evident the Bishop mind was trying to work through how he was to embrace this opportunity that has presented itself on his doorstep, named Sr. Therese. Therese who lived here for 36 years, left only six years ago, had made a large impact on the community as too in shaping history. It is the 50th Anniversary coming up, the diocesan will have a major celebration and Bishop Valentine wish to interview Sr Therese about her work and history of the congregation in Botswana. 
As I sat listening with great delight to hear about our congregation presence and approach to help empower and enrich this community, I noted that the spirit of Mother Mary Joseph is very much alive and been witness. I recall earlier in the morning wondering how I was going to find out about some of the Sisters stories and adventures as time for detail conversations was not on our side. Yet the Lord answered in the most amazing, heartfelt way. I learnt so much in this half hour, I was full of praise that I was about to hear how the Lord seeds were planted and feed to nourish a whole community. 

(Note that this interview is meant to go on you tube, I will source and ask Therese to direct me so I can share, as it given amazing insight into the sisters work and presence. I'll keep you all posted;o) ) 

After the interview, as I was still with Sr Therese, who is like royalty might I just add; we were given a grand tour of the grounds by the bishop. The cathedral has had a level add to cater for the additional parishioners. A new side shape has been establish where weekly mass and also 24 hour adoration. 


The meeting went a lot longer than planned or thought, from here we meet up with one of the parish ladies to get some veggies and meat, spices for the banquet for Saturday. Her name is Norma, a beautiful lady who I meet the other evening at choir practice. While we were following Botshelo and Norma around, it was explained to me from dear Therese about the culture and the way a celebration is conducted. The community gather a few funds, appoint a couple of people to purchase the produce, returning it back to the community for all the women to come together to cook. The menu for the day was traditional food, with what we call a BBQ. 

At the wholesaler, it was here where it occurred to me the riches of the people, everything they do is intertwined in human interaction. It's all about communication in terms of talking and sharing. After someone greets you the first thing they say is - how are you! - it is said with a pure heart, not like in western culture where it is often express with politeness rather than actually want to hear the answer. 
Looking back Im about to see from the moment I landed, with the girls talking to each other at the passport control, while processing people, to how every exchange is always in-depth conversation, ensuring the other person is well and happy. There is a very richness about this, can teach the rest of the western culture a thing or two, maybe this would lower deaths, loneliness, isolation and a self driven achievement society. Oh the beauty that lays at the mere possibilities through simply taking one moment to ask a question, check how the other who stands before is, actually is!!! 


Returning home for more conversation and planning followed by returning back to the airport to collect two other Sisters. The house was overflowing with people, yet what a privilege and delight to be able to share in their stories, their presences and conversation. My body rested with an overflowing heart of joy and praise at the experiences and people surrounding me. How blessed I am. 




Comments

Popular Posts