Arrived and Meeting the Sisters



Upon arrival I walked out of the airport to see young men sweeping the paving using traditional brush made of grass. The air was warm against the skin, as if I had left winter behind and walked straight into a beautiful summer day. Awareness of lack of rain was evident and the implications of this I was yet to learn.

Soon to be Sr Pulane CP, greeted me, warmly embraced with her welcome I knew that I was home with the Sisters.
Next was meeting Sr Botshelo CP, who spent some time with Sr B in England, who had spoken before I left sending a message to Botshelo saying to look after me like B looked after her. I laughed not knowing if this was positive or not, yet her warm embrace and welcome I knew instantly that I was going to be well cared for.
The wider community had embrace me just like those back in Australia, holding that sense of closeness no matter where in the world the Lord takes me there will always be loving Sisters not too far.
I sent message home to the Sisters telling them of my safe arrival. 



 The day was spent around the house, doing 'novice duties' as Pulane called it. The house was full of conversation, excitement at the coming event and expressions of how the journey had unfolded. No words can express what share delight it was to have time with Pulane talking, sharing and learning about how her heart had been opened to embrace the call with the Cross and Passion community. Straight away we were in conversation, like friends from afar, a start of a great friendship.

A meal was shared when the other Sisters arrived, Botshelo and Sr Rosleen who is currently resides inVietnam. Conversation flowed while enjoying the meal hearing about their preparation and adventures they had taken in the morning.



As the day concluded we headed to the church for music practice. I was so thankful that I had no jet lag traveling, as the choir practice was amazing. To hear the harmonies full the air, with the dominate voices at times getting carried away, reminding me that choirs have similar elements no matter where in the world you are. I was expecting modern english hymns if they were to sing english so taken back when old hymns sang leaving me wondering if they oppressed their natural beautiful expression of self in the somewhat limiting melody lines that the traditional music offered. However, this notion was ease when they took a common song and broken open with different harmonies, leaving the air full of an echo of praise and joyous celebrations produced through the vocal cords.

The church we were practicing in,  The Good Shepherd, which was Pulane and Botshelo local parish. It was wonderful to see the church so large and open all on one level. Wooden pews making me instantly feel like our Australian way of worship was different and a little more contemporary than the church before me. Yet then again, I was making judgement based on sight of objects rather than experience; where I eagerly awaited for mass to experience the riches that were so present.

Returning home that evening we drove through the village, trying to get my bearings, as we were in the well established part of the city, a while away from where the Sisters stay. The houses seem modern, western, rather big, often two story structures based on a bit of land. All had large fences around around them with electric wire at the top, crime is high and an opportunity seen is taken. I felt a little sad that the traditional way of living was not common with the overly present brick structures filling the horizon. It was explained that the grass used was hard to source and even harder to maintain. Sometimes the implications of western living placed into a culture, country so rich of its own traditions and structures leaves sadness on ones heart. I arrived back at the house with the sense that I have much to learn and discover. I have not even been here 24 hours!!!!







Comments

Popular Posts