Have you meet Barzillai before?




This evening I sat down while Sister was been Irish ironing away, (ironing I have termed as an Irish thing to do, my style more kiwi, only iron what is essential) 
Flicking through the channels feeling like nothing would content me. I was left dreaming about nothing, reactions, wonders, the day that has just passed and the evening yet to unfold - we are heading to the priest for pancakes! Lent on the door step…. 

My thoughts are lost though… Have you meet Barzillai??

You have to be fast to catch him, as he seems to move at great pace for a man of 80 years. There is a glimpse of him here and there however nothing more than an image of wisdom given. Barzillai blazes out, for a brief, glorious moment, like a meteor in a dark night sky, then plunges back into the obscurity from which he came. 
He seems so insignificant so why even mention his name?
He was 80 years old, no one would have blamed him if he had chosen to spend his remaining days letting others shoulder the responsibilities he had once carried - but he didn't. 

Let me give you a little more insight; in the time that King David was in reign he was forced to flee for his life from Jerusalem. In modern terms we would call him a refugee, his journey took him into the dessert beyond the Jordan River. Like so many refugees he was exhausted, out of food, had very little water and cry out for rest. Coming to an isolated village where the courageous, life giving Barzillai lived, he reached out to David providing food and shelter. Without this simple loved full act David and his men would have perished. 

The story goes on to tell that once David could return back to his land he reached out to Barzillai in gratitude inviting him to return to a place of plenty, with a promise of been taken care of for the rest of his days. Barzillai declined the offer! Reason? Simple yet beautiful - at tender age of 80 years could no longer taste the food and wine nor hear the singers as they sing. 

This is the story of Barzillai

One thing lately that I seem to be highly aware of is growing old! Not really about myself rather those I see within the parish, the very fact that those in religious life as twice if not more my age, my companions I am journeying with… all are of greater age. 
I will admit that I am still in this delightful age that looking ahead seems to be in a form of dreams that promise fairy-tale endings, filled with great expectations at times and planning a life that would satisfy my every desire. I see growing old as this beauty of wisdom, of change in season where the Lord uses you in the most beautiful way and hopefully you will be able to come so close to the Lord; brings me to a verse I love "I go to prepare a place for you" (John 14:2) 

Barzillai teaches me so much, highlights and reminds me of the deep importance that age is no factor. I get so frustrated when religious stay they are retiring… RETIRING from what?? Seriously, what? stop living your life to serve the Lord, isn't that called atheism, stop doing your service ministry, isn't that called change in season; slowing down from the demands life has put on you, isn't that just refocusing your heart back on Christ. I seriously don't get it!! 

Barzillai reminds me that even an old feeble and deaf hold the invitation from the Lord to do his service to the Lord and His people - the one deed from his entire life that was worthy of being recorded in the Bible and took place when he was an old man. How is that for responding to the Lord! Waiting, patiently, humbly…. He is like an observer, I can just envision him watching the happenings of the Israel leaders, watching and possibly not been too impressed with what he was witnessing. 

When David came to the city Barzillai took the lead in organizing help for the beleaguered king. The Bible tells us that Barzillai and his friends "brought bedding and bowls and articles of pottery. They also brought wheat and barley, flour and roasted grain, beans and lentils, honey and curds, sheep and cheese from cows' milk for David and his people to eat (2Samuel 17:28-29)
Think of all the organization and sacrifice that must have gone into this effort! Barzillai saw a need, and he did everything he could to meet it in spite of his age and infirmities. 
There's no doubt Barzillai liked David, he must have felt a pull towards David, even though not meet face to face. I think that Barzillai would had seen Davids tender heart, his goodness, exceptional grace. 
Which sounds a lot like us, we have never seen the Lord face to face but we feel that all too familiar pull towards HIm. The words of Jesus too Thomas apply to us, blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed!! Just like I said yesterday ;o)

If he had failed, or refuse to help then David and his men would have perished in the inhospitable desert beyond the Dead Sea, plus just think our history of Gods people would be vastly different. I can not help but think in a time when David was rejected, seen as the wrong man; Barzillai saw the Lords hand upon David.
The point is, an old man Barzillai couldn't do everything he once did but he did what he could, and God used his efforts. The same can be true for us as we embrace growing older, we embrace the challenges it rises yet not to forget to rejoice in the beauty. 

I'm so pleased to have meet Barzillai on this day, it is a pure example on the eve of lent teaching me about balance. On one hand we should not turn down a service privilege or avoid reaching out for it because we want a quiet life or feel incapable of shouldering responsibility. The Lord can make up for our deficiency if we rely on him for strength and wisdom - even Peter agrees with this - 1Peter 4:11. On the other hand we need to acknowledge our limitations. Its easy to take on more building upon possible busy spiritual activities, to find at times that neglecting other important responsibilities. 


Barzillai provides a fine example, something I will continue to meditate on. He was loyal, courageous, generous and modest. Above all this Barzillai was determined to put the Lords interest before his own. Sounds all too familiar ha!! 

Comments

Popular Posts