Feeling spoilt - Sr made carrot cake!!


Some people say that they have weakness when it comes to foods they prefer to indulge in, always tempted by baking, desserts, sweets and who can forget chocolate. I often wonder how people have these indulgent foods as some people have more than one! …. and then I remember carrot cake!!! 

There is no surprise that my favorite food of all time, even when I was growing up, is lettuce!! I always like to live outside the box! hehe, I would eat lettuce all year round, love salad and still very much do. 
About three years ago I was introduces to carrot cake and have never looked back!! I don't often mention it to anyone, as its a big weakness as I would want to eat the whole cake in one setting - yet when handed a slice of carrot cake its a pure delight.
One day when I was traveling with the sisters they were talking about baking and I so boldly uncharacteristically suggested or rather made a request that sister makes carrot cake. (I think I even admitted that its my favorite cake) Not thinking much of it, as Im sure sister has other things to retain than my cake choice I forgot I even mentioned it. 

Then  ….. Sister made CARROT CAKE!!



Last night after dinner, we all had a slice of cake with our cuppa. I was so excited, not eating carrot cake for so long, it was a moment that I was not prepared for - there was something about the experience that was pure delight. A heightened joy that seems completely natural and acceptable when taking a bite, trying to saver the tastes that delight my taste buds. In the moment open my eyes the sparkly dust settles as there suddenly are no wordily ways to describe the experience fully - that magical moment had passed - the first taste of carrot, spices, flour, nuts, sugar, mixed together with love. That magical, perfect, stars and sparkles fairytale like moment that leaves you with a tickle-good feeling! I had completely forgotten what carrot cake smelt like, taste like and even felt like, that first pillowy taste of carrot cake was magical!!
(I do hope you all feel that when you eat cake you love) 

Now Im not been dramatic about this cake, yummy doesn't even 
come on the radar level of description. Rewind a little, 
when eating cake I like to think where it came from, 
who made it, what am I actually feeding myself!!

In the afternoon I had my head in a book, a moment caught me when I heard sister in the kitchen adding, measuring, stirring and whisking away. I felt like I could see through the walls and knew what she was doing. Sometimes I watch her when she moves about in the kitchen; she is completely in her element, I have sense of joy for her and wonder if she realizes the amount of grace, sense of peace she gives off when in the kitchen. (I need not wonder no more after she reads this!!)

I have to admit it is a wonderful experience to be able to watch loved ones in the kitchen, although, maybe I want to join too; the ingredients magically come together incorporating them without questioning what the out come might be. It seems that measuring is done with the eye, recipes float in the air above them and their fingers know what to do without even been aware of it. 

Concluding that the kitchen has become a spiritual practice for them. The crumb-littered counter top and floor of the kitchen has become holy ground. When the world is out of kilter, or bring them back to home,  or maybe connect with the Lord closer, the kitchen opens up to a place of finding peace. Im sure that their heart rate slows and the Lord fills their hearts with joy as they pluck the recipe out of the air, collect the ingredients and begin their holy work, becoming engaged in meaningful work. 
I can see in the kitchen becomes transformed by the sound of a meditation place, very peaceful, serene, the time to be quiet, to be doing something but also listening, you can sense the air is fraught with meaning.  

I can only but not help think in the productive stillness of baking, Im sure the spirit can be heard. The words needed are whispered during the other daily activities while one might be too busy to heed. It must be a delight to be able to mix prayers in with butter and sugar and stir, listening to the reminders of what the heart is truly hungry for - the sense that its all connect, all bursting with meaning. In the kitchen maybe its a place with that cracks of glory seep through and lighting up the dirty bowls, the licked clean spoons, the dusty apron. 

I have learnt over the past year that gathering together to eat is a special occasion - just a celebration to talk, laugh and perhaps pray as we eat. I often hear stories at the dinner table which always makes hearts lighter or heavier, talk of hopes and plans of excitement that soon will unfold. Midst all this, there is something profound and holy about the kitchen and baking, it has a beautiful connection with the past to those who taught, present with being in the moment and future, those who will eat. 

So from the kitchen came a wonderful piece of carrot cake. A cake that is more than a cake, its bursting with meaning and yet tastes even more fantastical than you could ever imagine, now you can understand why I was not ready for my first bite… 


Thank you sister for making carrot cake and teaching me about the kitchen.





Comments

Popular Posts