A new friend is found

Recently I have found myself having a deep attraction to Thomas Merton writings. 

Merton's writings have a unique timeless quality, that stirs the conscience, moves the heart and touches the very soul in the depth of reality. Reading through Merton book, I feel like I have an exclusive insight into his early thoughts, feelings and beautiful poetic way of seeing his world that unfolds before him. I am not content at having his words merely been a sentimental or emotional experience. His words have so much weight, so much insight and at times stirs my heart. 

I can not help but be caught by Merton's way of not only living what he preached but personified in himself the ideals supported by his writings. I close my book longing for more, longing to ask the questions rather than know the answers and hold onto this new found dimension of attitude towards openness and receptivity to new ideas. 

Merton was his worst critic and has been quoted referring to himself "the author of more books than necessary". I love the fact that questions were so important to him, that not only did he ask them of himself and others yet he believed that a person is known better by the questions they ask then the answer.  It gives us an insight into the self-questioning, true thinking man that was convinced that anyone who really wanted to become a saint could put forth the task and become one.

I sense that Merton will be a friend I will stay in touch with periodically, just like actual friends when we sometimes lose touch for a while and then enjoy a new period of intense contact. Im sure pieces of his writings will travel with me everywhere I go for years to come. 

In some ways Merton was very much indicative of times in which the Church herself, unable to comprehend herself anymore, reached out in the world to find 'truth' and the 'authentic experience'. I think that he was reaching for the latter in order to recognize the former. Merton lived in a Church upon which a dark cloud was approaching, 'the age of confusion' as I have heard it been referred to. With this he predicted his own quest (the real balance of event is between self and God) that will struck Church most visibly in the following years. 
I don't know all of Merton's ideas, I have after all only read one book, many articles and have a lot more learning to go. Above this though I think the message is clear, to stick with that what you got, know and be faithful to it, no matter how big or small it appears. Spiritual chastity is more precious than a short peak of seemingly noble ideas. 

As I come to the conclusion of his first autobiography with great sadness, I find the words that I cling to and have taken from his writings amaze me, dazzle me with their importances, weight, power and deep insight; leaving me with a feeling that they are at times too simple for me to understand their full beauty and pureness. They are too naked!


"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul."


Comments

Popular Posts