“You shall not steal.”

Arriving at Mass today a sweet lady told me that there has been another thief - I have to admit this was after we greeted each other and did our normal morning hug. (She is a beautiful lady who you can not help look at her and see Christ smiling back) I listened to her tell in great sadness that another ladies prayer book had been taken. My reply was hopefully one of understanding and offer help to where it was, as surely its misplace or someone tidy up placing it somewhere safe. However I could not help think - 'someone needed that prayer book more than the lady' if in-fact it was stolen as they claimed which is an extreme thing to think in the first instance. 
I should note here that last week a lady said her glasses were 'taken' when they were left on the seat for a few days and someone kindly took them to the parish office for the individual to come forth and receive them back. So you can understand why its alarming that their first reaction is one of thief opposed to misplacement, left somewhere, someone placed away or even handed into the office!!
It makes me question why people jump to the worst or negative conclusion straight away. There was an odd sense of panic present in the chapel before mass, with people searching, wondering who would do a thing like they were accusing someone of. 
I understand that stealing is widespread in our culture today, we only need to read the news, talk to business owners about the cost of thief as Im sure they can tell the familiar story of knowing what is popular by the items that are taken. Our culture is one of habitually locking everything up, seeing bank tellers behind glass, having car alarms and signs saying security systems are in place. 
Do we have little faith in our community members to even think that someone would take our possession, especially within the church. After all we have all been taught that stealing is wrong and God even thought it was highly important to include in his top ten list - "You shall not steal" (Exodus20:15) how more black and white can the message be. 
I see this on Sunday with people coming up to communion with their bags. I know Im a little 'over trusting' and find it extremely hard to believe anyone would come to a church to steal. I have had loved ones tell me otherwise, yet its the Lords house, why oh why !!!
I just wander where is the community mind at, where is our love, we should not take our neighbors money or possessions rather help them to improve and protect their possessions and income. I don't think its enough to simply avoid the sting of this commandment by stating that we never committed the physical act, we (all of us) are our brothers/sisters keeper. As a brother, sister in Christ is it not our obligation and responsibility to do everything in our power to help our neighbor, keep and steward what they have. 
I shutter every time I read Malachi and hear God say, “Why are you robbing me from My rightful tithes and offerings.?”  We may not be robbing our fellow man, but are we failing to be proper stewards of all that has the Lord has blessed us with?  We need to be good stewards of the time, talents, and possessions the Lord has given us.
May we avoid stealing from God and our fellow man. "Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need" (Ephesians 4:28) 
I sit on the outside trying to be very aware that I possibly breaking an even bigger commandment of judging others - yet can not help be a little unsettled at the simple act or the fact that people are fast to accuse others, fast to jump to the worst conclusion. I have been taught that possessions are valuable for a number of reasons for people, therefore it is sometimes not the act that hurts yet the implications of this. 
I hope that people change their thinking from who stole this - to who borrowed without asking and why did they do that. We would learn a lot more about others and how to meet their inner needs if only we changed our thinking. After all the Lord always provides us with everything we could need and often at times in my experience more - so never fear we will never go without!! 
And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. (2Corinthians 9:8)

Comments

Popular Posts