Child like faith

"Some people brought even their babies to Jesus so he could touch them. When the followers saw this, they told them to stop. But Jesus called for the children, saying, "Let the little children come to me. Don't stop them, because the Kingdom of God belongs to people who are like these children. I tell you the truth, you must accept the kingdom of God as if you were a child, or you will never enter it" (Luke 18:15-17)


Yesterday at the house was a small celebration for one of the sisters 50th Jubilee and also a welcome for me into the community. There was a small group of beautiful people present and a little special guest of one of the ladies granddaughters. She was 2.5 years old, so very cute and talkative, not at all concern with the fact that she didn't know anyone. She brought along her bag of magic tricks that had some toys and two little dinosaur figures that she proudly showed off.
It made me miss my niece a little, as you can not help but look into their pure, innocent, loving eyes and see Christ shinning back in the most joyous form. 
My niece is very much like this from when she was born, I was so scared that I would break her when I held her only to realize that she stopped crying when in my arms much to my sisters annoyance as she would always do it for me not her. Even now when she cry's it breaks my heart, a simple hug and game of peek-a-boo (even on Skype) makes the world right again. Plus that laughter, oh how cute a little ones laugh is, its straight from the heart so contagious.

Anything is possible when you are a child! How wonderfully refreshing and insightful the simple way of thinking is when we apply it to our faith. When I think of some of the wonderful promises Jesus has made and welcome these promises as the greatest promises ever. "the kingdom of God is within you" (Luke 17:21) I am with you alway until the end of age (Matthew 28:20) "I am the way the truth and the life" or "I am the good shepherd" ….. there are so many simple yet powerful messages. 


Gods way is usually the opposite of what we might think makes sense. But if we accept his word without needing to know how or when or why, then I think we are on our way to having childlike faith. Lets be different from our culture by accepting the kingdom of God been here and now and our call to be daughters / sons of the King with childlike joy and enduring confidence. I might not be as free and unshaped by life events as when I was younger but I like to still believe the unbelievable promises by having faith like a child. Its so pure and straight from the heart like I see in so many people around me. Its like laughter of a toddler, so heartfelt, so contagious … 

Comments

Popular Posts