My Adventures lead to the Kitchen


This morning when I woke up at five in the morning wide awake, I laid in bed in prayer. A perfect way to start the day ;o) 
This week so far, has been an adventure - a stirring of the heart adventure! It seems when I step outside of the house an adventure is awaiting for me. I do recall - 
Jesus said, I will never leave you or forsake you. Not just idle words - its's a promise. (Hebrews 13:5) he also said He wold NEVER ask us to do anything He wouldn't equip us for - important to recall this at times…. 

I sometimes think that one of the easiest traps to fall into is grabbing hold of God's plan and making it our own. Then we are not on a God adventure anymore - we are controlling something we have decided to do for God, instead of joining Him in what He is already doing and allowing the spirit to guide the boat! There is a big difference!!!!


One of the adventures today started when I was at this oversize, overwhelming, unnecessarily large mall. Its three stories and about the size of a small nz town. I bravely went in there to get some veggies as its my night cooking! 
This mall has everything, apart from a bookshop - well I couldn't work out on the map if there was one!! On the food floor, it has a special place to buy nuts, or poultry, white meat, and another for red meat. Speciality bread, international food, fish, seafood, fruits and veggies and so many other things I have no idea what some of the food was. 

It reminded me of a market place in China, or Thailand where there seems to be people everywhere trying to purchase what they need in what seems to be chaotic jumble of transactions taking place. The only exemption is there is no shouting, no bartering and a very clear mixture of cultures present. 

Recently I have learnt that Julie Child was 32 years old when she first started to cook, up until then she says she just ate. I secretly take a little hope out of this that after so many years beauty can still form for others to enjoy for years to come. 

When I was staying with a dear friend she bravely started to teach me the basics of cooking, she didn't realize how little I actually knew - bless her heart - she taught me about five dishes to ensure the sisters are not going to go hungry ;o) 
I remember sitting at the kitchen breakfast bar in the evenings watching her move about the kitchen with grace and whipping up dishes from what seemed like out of thin air. 
She had infinite patience in the kitchen, answering all my questions and patiently explaining methods and the reasons behind them. I was always amazed how she would just look into the air and see the recipe floating about in the kitchen, teaching me the best 'cooking' tool is the imagination. 
While she talked away giving me hints about what goes with what, how certain foods are used in different ways, I try to repeat them to myself to remember - thinking one day Im going to need this!! 

Arriving over here, it is clear that the kitchen is an unfamiliar place for me; a place I can make a cuppa tea and clean the dishes and that is my limit - well not any more- Just like my dear friend teaching me, the sisters also have started to teach me, not only from the breakfast bar yet also cooking beside them. I have now made my first slice, which brings about a slight joyous feeling to know that I created something for others to enjoy.

I have spent a bit of time watching the sisters fly about the kitchen creating something from nothing just like my dear friend does, watching recipes form out of the mixed ingredients. The slight flour on the cupboards or smell in the house after they have created their masterpiece is a gentle reminder that cooking/baking is just like painting - just as there are so many textures and colors, there are so many ingredients you combine in different ways to create something the viewer encompass taking enjoyment from it. 

So my adventure continues, in my short time of been exposed to 'the ways of the kitchen', it is where masterpieces are formed from a place of love. A place where enormous significant expressions of generosity, soulfulness and love through the creativity that is shared with other loved ones. 
I gain a sense of joy that dances in my heart knowing that I have passed on the love from those before me, who are with me as they continue to guide me on the adventures of the kitchen,  encouraging me to always embrace another adventure exceeding any fear of the unknown! What a lesson to learn. How very blessed am I - Thank you Lord.



Comments

Popular Posts