When I miss loved ones only one place to turn




My day was long yesterday, after rising early to ensure time for prayer, time to reply to a few emails, eat my much loved marmalade toast and prepare for the day to unfold. 
By the time evening came I found myself at mass, tied, mind racing to loved ones who are near and far. 
Then I had a moment of 'see you in the Eucharist' which is that simple reminder of the transcendence of the Eucharist - the power the Mass has to unite all, as its only before the Eucharist do we come together as one church, one eternal, universal united Church!

When people learn that I am not from Australia, often as soon as I talk, and get to know me a little they often ask the question of 'do you miss home?'. I normally reply by saying that Im enjoying discovering the Australian culture, do not miss my country as I have been away from it for a number of years. 

What I don't say is that, home is within, I have no attachment to certain building, certain countries. However, I have recently realized just how much I do miss loved ones. The people who make home, the people who have a piece of my heart with them. I have moments of recalling with delight wonderful memories, moments shared with them; followed by a sense of wanting to reconnect to give thanks and embrace that love. 

Reality and love has taught me that I may not physically see, communicate with loved ones yet now they are closer than ever before. We are united together through prayer for one another and been constantly in each other's hearts. Through thinking of each other, loved ones are on the mind. Through going to Mass, I can 'see' each loved one continually. The Eucharist brings intimately close to each other, in such a way that cannot be experienced more fully until we reach the Lord. 

I don't think Im explaining this very well, for me Mass - the Celebration of the Eucharist - is heaven touching earth like an unforeseen kiss. Each time we participate in Mass, we enter into a mystery that has been celebrated since Christianity's genesis. We remember Lord who has existed since the beginning of time, we prepare our hearts for a paradise that will persist with no end. 
The Mass isn't merely repeating simple phrases before someone who has gone before said they are holy, or close translation. The Mass is not boring, meaningless ritual!! NO, the mass is a holy union with God, and HIs Church, a celebration of His victory that knows no earthly or timely limits - 

Sometimes I find myself before Mass thinking of the people present and the people that have gone before us. It brings create sense of union and comfort to realize that every catholic who has ever lived has gone to the same Mass as me. How much more of a family connection do we need? Unity in its most pure and powerful essence. Possibly in another language, some responses may vary but the Mass' core essence has remained unchanged! 
To think, Thomas Merton, St. Therese of Lisieux, Augustine, Dorothy Day just to name a couple all of them experienced the same thing we experience each time we go to Mass. 

Its not past tense, rather they still are experiencing this Mass. Each time the Holy Spirit descends upon the Bread and Wine, we look up at the Eucharist.. and the saints look down, gazing upon the very same Eurcharist. From heaven they adore the same Real Presence of Christ. They adore the Lord constantly, celebrating without end, heaven is never ending Mass. 

Do you see, not only do we see Christ we see every one of the Lords amazing creation of love, on earth right now! All brothers and sisters in Christ, those who, regardless of their geography or language, partake in the same mysteries and the same Church as us all. 

For this reason, the words 'see you in the Eucharist' carry so much weight, knowing that no matter where in the world we are, we are together united each time one of us enters into this beautiful gift. 
We get to see Jesus more clearly than ever hope to do in scripture, or prayer, because the mass is heaven on earth, it is a preview of how clearly we will see Christ once we pass from this life. 

Im not too idealistic here, I know that this is clouded by our human doubt, distractibility (been there so many times like everyone one, just need a baby or something catch the eye) But this doesn't diminish the fact that Christ is there on the alar, more real than the pew beneath you!!! After all there was a time when the pew didn't exist, the wood for that pew didn't even exist and one day will stop existing…. BUT CHRIST!! He's not going anywhere

"I will not leave you as orphans," He tells us. "I will come to you. 
After a little while the world will no longer see Me, 
but you will see Me; 
because I live, you will live also.
 In the days you will know that I am in My Father, 
and you in Me, and I in you" 
(John 14:18-20)

Christ is not just in us, we are in Him. We are the Church everyone of us make up His Body. The Lord knows no limits, brings us into His embrace. For that half hour/hour worship, the Church celebrates as one family. We stand eternally united and infinitely treasured, closer than ever before. 
This is why there is no goodbye, just see you later. 
See you in the Eucharist, my dear loved ones. 

Comments

Popular Posts