Dear My Grumbling Complainer Child...


I sometimes debate with myself if the gift of words is actually a gift! When the mouth is opened sometimes people tend to turn to an instant fault finder, complainer mode, with the words rolling out their mouths creating destruction, negativity. Whether it be a murmur and complaint, some people need to be reminded that keeping a positive attitude is important after all we are feeding our body, mind and spirit. 
There are two great powers at war in our lives, sometimes we can see them and other times we can't. One will lead us to an overfilled life of joy and passion for Jesus - Amen to this - and the other will lead us down the path of discontent and bitterness. 
One will lead to life and other to death… but these powers are much more subtle than you'd imagine!! Lets take an everyday thing like complaining….  I would be the first to admit that sometimes I complain, there is no reason or rhyme to it, rollin off the tongue with a moment of kicking myself at the ungratefulness that it presents. 

Sometimes I think that God should fulfill the movie image that is portrayed, by allowing a piece of paper to fall from 'heaven' in front of those who have just complained… let it float down with gentle lighting, music hinting at a moment of discovery about to unfold, grabbing the characters and audience attention; leading them to open it to reveal a message - 

… Dear My Grumbling Complainer Child… 
If you are reading this letter it means that your dream has come true. You complained about your family, so they are no longer here. You complained about noise so you can no longer hear it. You complained about your job, so you no longer have one. Complained about traffic, so cars do not exist anymore. You complained about food not meeting your standards therefore there is no longer any. This is what you asked for right? Your complaining has caused you to lose all of the things that once meant something. What happened to the loving child I use to know, the one who embraced your loved ones, the child I knew to speak words of kindness. Where have you gone? What caused you to be so bitter? I can only pray that you'll soon wake up to realize all that you've lost and come to your senses. When you are ready, call me and I'll be there to listen….. Loving Father...

Just sometimes I think we need to keep things in perspective, after all we all take things for granted without acknowledging it. When you want to complain about your feet, think of all those who had to have theirs amputated. When you want to complain about your hands, think about the many people who suffer from arthritis and can't even hold a pen. When you want to complain about your parents think about the children in foster care who are wishing for a family. Or if you are bravely bold and complain about the food being served, think about those digging through garbage cans for their meals. To top it all off, when you are thinking about complaining of a running nose just spare a thought for those in ICU and children going through chemotherapy or radiation. It might seem a little extreme yet its not, its reality. Again my first sentence is important, perspective… small things our minds may think as the worlds worst problem are actually anything but. 

Instead of complaining maybe we can focus our thoughts onto what we have been taught - to offer hospitality to one another without grumbling (1Peter4:9) Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. (Ephesians 4:29)Be thankful for what you have and stop wishing for those things you don't have. 
Be honest and admit to yourself that you don't know the struggles others had to endure to get the blessings they have. Put your narrow focus judgement aside, don't let it poison or harm others. Be appreciative of the blessings you have, embrace them, watch them grow from the seeds that they have grown from. 

Maybe the prayer we should all be saying, including myself is asking the Lord to forgive all the times I open my mouth to grumble, instead of give thanks. Give me a grateful heart and teach me how to resist the urge to complain. When I obey You in this, use my example to inspire others and draw them to You. Thank You for my present blessings, and for all those yet to come!





Comments

Popular Posts