Seeing the face




Sometimes when in a class setting the teacher or tutor often quotes the famous line "no question is a silly question" which is closely followed by "if your thinking it, then someone else is too" 

So I put my question out there, as possibly one of you might be asking the same question - 

 What does it mean when we say "seeing the face" of Christ? 

Lately I have had this desire to put a human face on Christ; not too sure what this is all about, I guess I missed those Sunday school classes that would have given the image on a silver plater!!. Let me not forget that Im human!! so most likely natural that my brain is wired in a way that visual aid at times enhances connection and clarity. 

My first reaction hearing "seeing the face" is a metaphor that means that God is like a parent to us all, making us siblings who resemble him and can 'see his face' in one another. This is to inspire us to love others as we would love our brothers and sisters; which is a wonderful and powerful message. The BUT comes in here … But isn't this meaning the same as 'being the face' …. 

The other night at dinner Mother Teresa came into conversation; I will admit we were talking about spiritual consolation and desolation for my course today; nonetheless, I realized that her words hold little weight at times especially with my recent discovery that she spent a lot of time in desolation…. I recall her quote 

"I see Jesus in every human being. I say to myself, this is hungry Jesus, I must feed him. This is sick Jesus. This one has leprosy or gangrene; I must wash him and tend to him. I serve because I love Jesus" 

When I was a little girl Mother Teresa would have been the first catholic that I knowingly came to learn about. I never really understood what work she did, all I knew was she had a pure heart of love for all people and her God. 
Today, as I look at other young women in her congregation and also at her words, to be frank, they make me wary. They seem to give the impression that she is urging us to pretend that everyone is Jesus - sinless, handsome, perfect, charismatic Christ. The implication seems to be that by engaging in this delusion (let me be bold to call it this) we will some how be able to quash the aversion we feel for certain people - the dirty, the diseased, the murderous, the destitute - so we can attend to their needs; I'm not feeding an unwashed, homeless addict: I am feeding Jesus Christ. 

Is this not the opposite of all Jesus did???

I am at times overcome by Jesus ability to love others as they are, to see their goodness, beauty and value in spite of the imperfections, unattractiveness and worthlessness that other people see. From the scriptures I see that Jesus attention is on the underlings and outcasts of his day. (to name a few, fisherman, tax collectors, lepers, lame, mentally ill, poor and blind…) Jesus listens to them, heals them and gives them important missions, thus acquainting them with their dignity; and I would say giving them the key to the kingdom. 

The Jesus I know, love and nourishes me daily, is not one that brought himself, or motivation if you wish to call it so, to mix with these individuals by pretending they were God or perfect for that matter. 
How do I know this ….. 
Jesus told Simon Peter, "You may be an uncouth fisherman, but you're also spunky and insightful, so I'd like you to be my disciple." He once told a plebeian women, "You maybe a sinner, but you're also prescient and generous, so please anoint my feet"

PLUS lets not forget an important lesson taught by example, Jesus called each person by name!!!! He counted the hairs on every head, saw each person with all their beauty and faults, weaknesses and strengths. And Jesus dignified everyone!! That's the treatment we all want, thats the treatment we all need. 

In Jesus three years of ministry he didn't minister to everyone, there were times that he left intractable people in their own devices, times he fled or took a hidden path; times he counseled his disciples to turn and shake the dust from their feet. 
Theoretically, none of us would run if we were facing Jesus, which is why seeing Christ in others can be a little foolish. I will be the first to admit I am very ideal, I try not to see much darkness however reality is that sometimes people are immortal and corrupt or not open to help. Sometimes turning away is wise and beneficent. 

Perhaps 'seeing the face' is intended to be a trigger towards contemplation of a great love, that in the act of inwardly contemplating the face of Christ we come closer to 'being' in the image of Christ. 

Maybe for some, 'seeing the face' is a helpful concept. For me, its too facile and imprudent. I suspect God asks more of each of us, we must 'be the face' of Christ by doing as Jesus did. We must see the face - the real face - of every individual we meet. 

Please don't love me because you love Jesus. Please love me for who I am - the beautiful creation the Lord has gifted life to that Im continually, as I pray being the face of Christ…. 



Comments

Popular Posts