Adventure among the Crowds





The other day I left the house telling the sisters that I had a day of adventure to discover before me. They all wished me a good day, along with ensuring I had myki card (train ticket) sunblock, water and apple for lunch. 

I know that often my words and their meanings are different to others… in our home we have three Irish and one kiwi … need I say more ;o) 
Yet the word adventure has the same meaning for us all I think. I love going on adventures, what ever their form, whether with others I know or others I meet along the way. Adventure means stepping outside of the comfort zone; not to have control over plans; breaking free from the monotony of what is expected. It means taking a risk and challenging myself, if the thought doesn't leave me with butterflies in my stomach, whether that be due to excitement or fear, then I am are not doing it right!!!
Adventure involves exploration!! In the process its only right should learn more about the world around you and more about yourself, what you are capable of. 

I went to the Fitzroy Gardens in town first, they are near the Victoria Government Buildings. As I was walking around I was wondering what the word garden even meant. The word can be used to describe so many different spaces, in essence it can nearly be used to describe a piece of grass with one plant other than the grass…. 
By now you all know me well enough to know that I could spend all day looking at gardens, flowers, plants, read books on them and learning about them. So I won't over do my posting with too many flower photos!! I will just put a few of these new flowers I discovered in the conservatory located in the gardens. 
Calceolaria SP known as Lady's purse. Coming from Central America, they are an annual, having no spots or stripes yet have a tender beautiful tones with its curious balloon like flower. (Photo to the right)




The other annual from South America is the Schizanthus SP - known as the poor man's orchid. It produces masses of small orchid-like flowers in a large range of colors during the cooler months of the year. I personally would prefer the orchid ;o) Yet its a pretty plant regardless of its demeaning name. (Photo to the left) 





As the day went on, I headed to the centre of Melbourne mainly to get information about other places I can visit and explore. I then realized it was mid afternoon and I was hungry. I went into the square where a lot of people were gathered. I found a spot under a tree on the side and joined in with everyone else watching Sponge Bob Square pants on the outdoor screen while eating my apple. It was wonderful to sit outside in what felt like a 'Lazy Sunday' atmosphere watching people come and go, trams pasting, people setting up for the AFL final, admist all this a sense of calmness as people gathered to rest, give themselves a break while their children were entertained. 




As I looked around the crowd of people gathered, my thoughts drafted to all those present. I had not long been walking past St Mary House of Welcome on Burnswick street - where my spontaneous action lead me on a tram to Preston. Walking past this building my eyes were caught by Mother Mary figure that was in arch of the building, then a welcome smiled and greeting came to me from a lady within. Replying, smiling and saying hello she picked up the accent and asked where I was from; talking to her for a while I learnt that the sisters of charity run the house for the homeless, mainly those suffering with mental illness. Its a place they can come for food, shelter, companion, and shower during the day. I was touched by this, especially as the homeless are challenging me at the present time. They touch the core of me, present me with a moral question in my reactions to them. 

I often find myself thinking about the crowds of people who were around Jesus. Did they even know who he was, did they even know who was in the crowds of people right beside them, next to them, while they all focused on the same thing. Scripture teaches us to take note of the individuals we don't know, of our brothers and sisters, neighbors; be the presence of God to them. 

There are so many times in our day when we need to ask who is the solitary individual who is sitting in front of us or behind us? What are the needs of the person we don't know? When we greet one another, do we even take time to be genuinely be interested, even to the simple degree of asking "how are you?" wanting to know the answer. Sometimes it seems that Jesus was always busy, yet never did he not take time for an individual, never was he too busy to notice a women, man, child, to stop, get to know their story and give them the opportunity to be a witness to their faith. We must never be too busy that we overlook the solitary stranger in our midst, or to take for granted any person we encounter. Jesus always seems to never let the crowd control him teaching me it is the solitary individual who is important in Gods eyes. 
Sitting among a crowd on that day thinking about this, it presents a hugh challenge of what to do with my discovery now!! 

Been among crowds of people for the rest of the afternoon, from the art gallery, to waterfront, train station, bus station to finally getting off a full bus to walk home, I realized its so easy to go on adventures, step outside the front door and head in the opposite direction to normal or try something regular in an unfamiliar environment. Often I think humans are creatures of habit; theres a sense of joy in breaking this, a sense of adventure been created in that moment when you realize you are entirely in that moment, traveling without plans, getting lost and figuring it out all along the way - its being alive and engaged in the present moment, challenged in the present moment which for me is a moment of beauty that I know the Lord is speaking… 




Comments

Popular Posts