Joy



As I look around our neighborhood there is Christmas lights shining brightly and can see the Christmas Tree taking pride center in all its glory in peoples living rooms. Apart of me sighs in sadness, secular Christmas that is before my eyes at every turn. Holding its embellished presences through ornaments and twinkling lights, not to mention the carols that fill the air with a sense fake holiday cheer to cover up the madness of expectations and illusion of importance society has created. 

This week is Joy in the advent season. I have to admit I was sitting in church on Sunday attending a few masses each time the Psalm left me breathless. The power behind the words left me feeling of oww how can I respond to that!! Here in my parish the community say the psalm together, opposed to it been read and respond too.

This week so far, has been full of joy! My youth music group did an amazing performance on Sunday evening, pushing themselves with solos, different instruments and simply encouraging each other. The following evening I attend my preps performance. 
They had all memorized their lyrics, polished up their hand actions and worked on their costumes leaving a trail of tinsel from the classroom to the stage. There was a delight within the community. 

The season is supposed to be about preparing our hearts to welcome Jesus into our lives, but often it becomes a time of too much to do, too little time and in our case too many events to attend. 
The very nature of Advent means it's a time to settle down, take a deep breath and conceratrate on what's important. And yet I often find myself questioning the meaning of 
'Christmas spirit' while no amount of festivities, decorations or even christmas chocolates can take away from the tragedies that have occurred throughout the world lately. When others are grieving over loved ones lost in Paris or their health has fallen due to corporation lack of concern for humanity, the environmental concern or lack of concern as the case is sometimes. Where is joy ??

The world is far from perfect!! This is proven repeatedly; as long as humans live on this earth we will all be prone to the results of the fall. 
As Christians, we already have a small sneak preview into the final chapter of the story!! God wins! And there is no better time than Christmas to celebrate this fact. Jesus came so we would not be destroyed by sin and death. A beacon of light pierced through the darkness of this world when Mary gave birth to God's son. 

THIS is why we celebrate Christmas!! Not because we turn our heads from the pain and suffering of this world. Rather we embrace the truth that even the darkest of circumstances could never dim the light of Christ. This is joy, the sparkle of joy that freely flows through us. 


And when things don't go perfectly as planned, I need to plant that smile on, keep jumping for joy and take two moments to do this inward journey to center myself keeping awareness the season doesn't sweep me away; keeping clam and enjoying the anticipation of an event so amazing it changed the world. 



Comments

Popular Posts