Holy Joy




It is true that we live in a paradox of our time. I often at times find myself wondering if is always been this way while I was either too young to notice or too naive. Maybe though society is progressing in a certain direction!
We seem to have taller buildings but shorter tempers; wider freeways but narrower viewpoints. We spend more but have less; we buy more but enjoy it less. Houses are bigger while families are smaller, more conveniences but less time. We have more degrees but less sense; more knowledge but less judgment; more experts but more problems; more medicine but less wellness. 

Sometimes it is often said that people drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, judge too quickly, stay up too late, get up too tired. We have multiplied possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We have learned how to make a living but not a life. We have added years to life not life to years. We have been to the moon and back but have trouble crossing the street to greet the new neighbour. We’ve conquered outer space but not inner space. We’ve done larger things but not better things. We’ve split the atom but not our prejudice. We write more but learn less. Plan more but accomplish less. 

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion; tall men and short characters; steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the time of world peace but domestic warfare; more leisure but less fun; more kinds of food but less nutrition. These are days of two incomes but more divorce; of fancier houses but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throw away morality, one-night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the show window and nothing in the stockroom. 

We’ve conquered outer space but not inner space, this sentence defines modern living at the moment one could argue. Everything we build is bigger, stronger, faster and larger. We have come a long way in a short time. The engine of human progress hums right along. We send men to the moon, satellites into orbit, and radio waves to the stars. But inner space is another problem. We have not even close to conquering that. The human heart seems as unruly as ever. 

On the weekend at companions retreat, I was sitting next to a companion who has entered into ‘retirement’ season, where he said his prayer has changed over the years thats for certain, yet how to live in retirement is no different to learning how to live in his 30s, 40s, or 50s. Expressing to me that his prayer is now simple yet transformative - Lord I ask for joy, Lord I ask for joyful confidence. Amen. 
I guess its more like a motto, or something he reminds himself daily. I express what delight and excitement this prayer offers. He laughed at me and said I need to find another as I seem to have it already… 

My readings today has lead me to listen to Peter talking, offering a sermon about practical holiness. (1 Peter 1: 13-24) Recently I have learnt the importance of a sermon or rather “Homily”, with its deep richness that feeds the soul like a dry desert getting that sprinkle of refreshing replenishing living water. Finding myself clinging to words as they drift around me, wanting them to linger just a little longer. Its never to be misunderstood by any priest the importance of saying a homily to his brothers and sisters. Making the Word come off the page and into tangible nourishment; I guess this is why Pope Francis wrote Evangelic Gaudium. 

…..Whoops off track…. 

where was I…. Holy Joy… that’s right. I think Peter felt that being holy is being like God and that is the most exciting thing in the world. Not like been a ‘mini God’ running around throwing himself about asserting his authoritative state. Rather Holiness means being so much like Christ that you can change the world; or maybe be more precise, holiness means to be so much like Christ that the world begins to change around you. 

Holiness could be dull if the word is not taken off the pages; as when one meets the real thing… it is irresistible. If even ten percent of the world’s population had it, would not the whole world be converted and happy before the year’s end?

When you meet a truly holy person, you feel drawn to them because they have this beacon of light, they are a reflection of Christ. I dearly hope that we all have meet at least one person like this - someone whose life radiates Christ in such a way that you are drawn to them for that. Almost always such people are filled with a kind of contagious joy. What a fantastic combination. 
It reminds me of 1 Chronicles (16:29) “Beauty of Holiness” 
Maybe thats it….  Holy people have holy joy. They enjoy life because they are full of Christ. 

“Be holy in all you do, just as God, the One who called you, is holy” (verse 15) 

Bless Peter, for he reminds me that holiness begins with the trivial details. If holiness does not show itself in the small things of life, where, pray tall, will it ever be seen? Most of life is made up of the small things. We can’t say “it doesn’t matter what I do” Because it does!

The true standard of living for any Christian, the true model to be copied, is nothing less than God himself. Now for those who know me will, can say that is extremely idealist on my behalf to make this statement, while others might say this is a trap to set one up for failure of not reaching this level of perfect copying. Peter is not saying this, and Im most likely not using my words correct to portray this… Peter is saying that if we are God’s children and there ought to be a family likeness. God says, “Be like me.” Holiness is not a set of rules and regulations Holiness is about God! 

God always and forever. God first and las. God under my feet. God above my head. God all around me, in me. God guiding all I do and say. God in my deepest thoughts. Always God, always there, always with me, now and forever. 

This is true holiness. This is true joy. This is the purpose for which I was created. 

And so back to where I started from…. we’ve conquered outer space but not inner space. This is so true, inner space is where we must begin. A message like this calls for searching self examination.
Jesus came to bring God to us and us to God. He is the very fullness of God in bodily form. We are created by God in likeness… there are so many beautiful rich life giving messages in scripture if we grip onto them. What Peter is reminding us that if we want to be more like God, it can happen. If we want holy joy, the first step is the hardest - and the simplest. Ask for it. Ask the Lord to fill us with the fullness of who he is, making us holy in every part of our life. If we want to be holy, we use conquer our inner space. Begin there, and life will change, and the world will change around us. 




Comments

Popular Posts