Music that shaped the liturgy

Our youth music team lead the celebrations which were amazing, they created an atmosphere so moving and full of love. I was very touched, they really delivered in all aspects of the meaning. 
Each song was selected for a reason, having meaning behind them. 

Entrance Song - This little light of mine 
This song was the first religious song I learnt, from memory. It was when I was younger, and always thought the concept of carrying around a light to ensure never darkness kindle something within. 

Most of the Mass parts were from two sources, New Zealand Mass of Glory and Praise or from a local composer Roxane Lascaris. 
The youth selected the creed as Yes Lord I believe by John Burland. They love singing with great power “Yes Lord I believe”. 
For gifts I used the song “Broken Vessels” by Hillsong. Originally I wanted an Irish song, however after much debating I decided on this song for a few reasons. Firstly my parents wedding song was Amazing Grace. While I am aware of the background to this song been composed, I thought that using this beautiful arrangement brought much depth and life to the song. Bring Amazing Grace chorus with the words of mercy, love and hope. It brought tears to my eyes listening to the girls singing it with emotion and meaning. While my parents are not physically or emotionally present on the journey with me, it was meaningful for me to have some connection to them on the day. 



Communion Songs I selected Psalm 23, The Lord is my Shepherd and Here I am Lord. 
Psalm 23 is held dear at heart, often I find myself singing this in moments I long for the Lord to pick me up in His hands and carry me close to His heart. I recall first learning it at high school, with a peer Ester singing in her pacific island vocal glory. The song rings out throughout the chapel, lifting ones soul high above the pews. 

Here I am Lord, is a song that speaks words from the heart. In moments on the journey when I have been so unsure of what I am physically, task wise, directing, either the verses from scripture or this song crosses my path. Its like a cry that has a profound and life giving response each time. A reminder to me to be aware of all my wants, desires and questions I place before the Lord as He will answer, sometimes naivety is bliss… Above this though, this song brings my eyes back to the Lord, back to been fixed on Him to guide me, strengthen me and united together. A deep prayer that is intimate. 

The finally song was We are companions on the Journey. Aware this is the song I hear throughout most Passionist events, with the rich essences of the charism bring the relationships at grassroots to the forefront of been present in our calling to walk with Christ. All the preparing, organising and near the final days letting go of the physical elements of this profession, I was rather taken by the power of been a companion on the journey opposed to one who just turns up or rather only joins in the celebrations of the joyful moments. These are two very different things, life shaping things and I could write a whole blog post on the difference. My awareness of the riches, treasures and heart moving depth of been a companion on the journey has gifted me with insight, knowledge and consciousness that I will forever take forward. A lesson learnt that has shifted my presence, shifted my desire to companion others. What a gift to offer someone and receive also. Thank you to each of my companions

After the rite of profession when the Sisters warmly embraced me, The music team lead the congregation in a Maori waiata, Te Aroha. It was very moving, the words offering a blessing for all spoken in the language of my home country.


Generally speaking that is the music and reasons for their selection. It was an honour to have the youth lead everyone, I will circulate the video recording once I put it together so you can hear them. I am so taken by how much they have grown and come into their own. 
A true blessing to witness and be apart of. 


Comments

Popular Posts