Meaning behind Readings for profession


Now comes the time of reflection, while I put together a few words on the meanings behind aspects of my profession celebrations. While I apologies and a little sad that I didn’t do this before profession, making it more insightful for those who were present to understand why things were the way they were… I think better late than never. 

Today I wish to express the reasons for the readings. When choosing the readings I had to take to prayer as there were so many that have deep meaning and brought life to me. I have not given full write up, yet a little insight. Nor have I written about gospel as I will leave this to the Bishop.


First reading - Isaiah 43: 1-7
Verse one leaves me with a sense of joy and peace - “Do not be afraid… for I have called you by name, and you are mine”
This reading has been with me throughout my Christian journey, when entering the church at tender age of 16 years, I received a card with this on it. Then again when I left New Zealand to come Australia, received this verse as a prayer. Two years ago the ceremony I received a card with this saying that has sat in my bible with a reminder each time I turn the pages… Do not be afraid!!

Reading more deeper though, this text offers more than this familiar comfort of the heart. His Spirit remains with me, God is walking with me even through hard times. He truly is Immanuel - God with us. His presence doesn’t mean we won’t suffer hard times rather He is with us in the midst of them. I am IN Christ. It takes time, extra care to attend to ones spirit and listen closely to the whispers of the Lord. No matter what fire or storm may come, no matter how our bodies and brains and loved stand beside us, He is Immanuel, His presence is always there just waiting to be called upon. 

Throughout my journey especially from the moment deciding that I would respond to the desire to discern religious life, the path has had twist and turns, rightfully so to grow. Yet community have always been at the side lines, not stepping in for me, they could not change the circumstance. They could not remove the pain or carry my cross. What they did was far more important. They showed up. They offered wisdom, prayers but more than this, was their presence, the thing that strengthened and steadied me so I could hear my name. I am not face in the crowd… He is calling us by name, calling me by name… that changes everything!! 

Second Reading - Ephesians 3:14-23

After letting my heart sit with the idea of choosing one passage from the whole of the New Testament, no easy task for this NT loving girl, I assure you! I felt that this passage rightfully so choose me. It is a beautiful message from Paul, on that is so empowering and encouraging not only for myself yet for all of us. It sounds so familiar with the details of love, the greatness of my knowledge at times been mistaken to believe its more than faith. 

My journey to this point has gifted me with the discovery of pure, heart given, Christ reflecting love. I have seen it in so many different ways, in people, situations, creation, words or even just the stillness of the air. The Lord always shinning His unconditional love through the light carried by others and within. When I respond to the heart desire to become Christian, become catholic - or now take vows, - I believe it was responding to my baptism call. It was the heart longing, seeking of that love that made me bold, courageous, open hearted gifting the strength that came from the spirit before I even knew how the spirit works. And this is what Paul is saying, through that spirit we will grow, firstly with inner self as the Lord shapes and moulds us. Which rather sounds a lot like formation, this time that has been challenging yet a lot of self awareness and deeper seeking, naming, comforting and letting go. Leaving an image of Potter and Clay - I love this image, with clay so soft, natural from the earth soil. Moveable with the gentle loving touch of the potter hand to hold, mould and shape to that which gives the clay its ultimate beauty that the potter draws out. 
Paul though takes things a little further saying that this inner self is only one small aspect, which then needs to be planted in love, surrounded by love and the branches will bear much fruit. What a foundation to hold!!

This passage I read gifting deep inner spiritual strength, a indwelling of Christ in our hearts - every brother and sisters in Christ - with no exclusion. 

Paul speaks so tenderly and openly giving the ability to comprehend all the dimensions of spiritual realities that are lay before us, that are rooted in the knowledge of the love of CHrist. Paul saying he knew it wasn’t easy or normal to accept everyone in love, but he also understood that with the Holy Spirit guiding our lives, anything is possible. 


So these are the readings, tomorrow I will give meaning to the Songs that brought so much live and depth to the service. 

Comments

Popular Posts