Joining in the miracle making

Wanka NZ -holding onto my y memories of homeland. 


Have you ever wanted to walk on water? Like actually walk, get out of wherever and just walk on water as if it is a beautiful glass plane that holds great strength as you guide over it like a feather in the air. What would this mean, where would you walk to?

The past few days have been a little heavy within me, I have had an awareness of the inner weight of the outer world I have been living in. Today spending a few moments in stillness, in peacefulness with a still mind, I found myself asking - why? 

Why do you want to walk on water?

Because Jesus did and I want too… 

When was the last time you were on a Jesus guided adventure? A posture of letting Him lead in every area of your life, following hard after Him so you can be like Him and dwell with Him in the promised land He has for each of us.. when??

Like a child I play the notion over in may head, Jesus did I can too… 

“Don’t be afraid” he said. “Take courage, I am here!” 
Then Peter called to him,
 “Lord, if its really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water” 
“Yes, come” 
Jesus said. 
So Peter went over the side of the boat and 
walked on the water towards Jesus. 
Matthew 14:27-29

Peter asked to join Jesus on the water in the middle of the miracle that defined Him as the Son of God. When was the last time we asked to join Jesus in the miracles He’s doing?

If I place myself into this scene, I can see the other disciples in the back of the boat desperately trying to stay in the boat! The other eleven never asked Jesus to call them out of the boat to walk on water with Him. But Peter’s faith increased the faith of all the ones shaking in the back of the boat. Their response after Jesus calms the storm is to worship Jesus, exclaiming “Yo really are the Son of God!”

This past few weeks I have been surrounded by a number of young women coming and going. Its been demanding in a sense of when present be fully present. While clearly language is a barrier, it is not at the same time, their eyes look past the verbal communication to the universal language of love, friendship, joy and laughter. In those moments I can see miracles happening within, like little mustard seeds been given a little bit of nourishment to grow deeper and encouragement to keep in the soil just a little longer before peeking up. 

On the other side of this I am realising on a very deep level the life giving and also life challenging dynamics of intercultural and intergenerational living. I have listened to a few talks recently saying that we need to start intergenerational living. Next to this the intercultural awareness is becoming a reality in every corner of the world. I listen to talks, to speeches, to great wisdom figures and at times wonder…. Have you lived it or are you just speaking words based on observing from a distance. There is a difference you know!! 

I then think back to Peter, Jesus, and realise that its about asking Jesus to join Him in His work, where its Him and me and all the power of the Lords hands. Am I brave enough to join on the water, to be with Him, to dwell with Him where miracles happen. 

What does walking on water really look like for me…. 
Getting out of the boat for me looks like stepping through the door Jesus opened for me to walk in an intercultural community and intergenerational community. I have to rely solely on Jesus to supply the strength, wisdom, insight, awareness and words to walk. I need His faith working through me to keep me walking on the waves. 

Walking on water can also look like the everyday moments that only Jesus could do through me, like loving those around me even with our differences. To take care of the lang He has given us, caring in respect and nourishment. Plus keeping my heart on His, keeping His words in my mind and coming out of may mouth as I interact with others. 

Its not easy, walking on water, it requires balance, it requires a lot of blindness and even more faith. Those who are on the boat are supportive and watch on as at times you try to grip their hands only to be told you can do this, we will throw out a rope if you fall yet you don’t need us… 

As I walk away from prayer, I am left asking myself 

Will I ask to join Jesus in His miracle making? Will I put my foot out and take the step… 



Comments

Popular Posts