Head hunger



Recently I have been soaking up teaching, apologetics, lectures and events online. While I have to admit that it is very heavy American based, simply due to the access that is available to me. I have had a rather enriching time. 

LWRC - Leaders Women Religious Conference - recently had a gathering which they kindly placed some of the talks online. What a wonderfully enriching dialogue that is taking place. There was a talk on awareness of changing religious life focusing a little on the younger religious or the newer generation that is coming forward. There are so many characteristics that at times I can see are so challenging when it comes to fostering an intergenerational, intercultural living. This was a leadership group, challenged by leadership and also working within an evolving church, society and really human evolution. 

At one point it was mentioned that the younger generation are digital leaners, interactive with  technology allowing hand held access to all, connecting on different levels and at different speeds. They seek participation in relation to projects and relationships, cultivators of diversity. There is a sense of cross connection, not just staying within own community yet building upon this, holding the real culture that is present to engage in movements which is dependent on collaboration and at times mostly technology. 

There is far too much to mention here, yet a lot of treasures. Religious life is changing, it is changing at a fast rate. I recently put my hand up to make the congregational website. This came out of a place of listening to complaints about not having one firstly, then the present online not fully been there or rather at times the Sisters saying its misguiding what is out there, along with other reasons. After taking to prayer I realised that I am the one that needs to step forward. For me, I feel this is an easy problem to solve, simply create and go. Yes ensure its inclusive and capture the spirit that is held between us, sisterhood unity… I am realising that its not simple for others, even the community I am present in, some times I feel creativity would enable a lot more boarder thinking, yet it has to be nourished and nurtured. I am no different to those around me. While capabilities are one thing, having the nourishment and nurture to put your hand up or step out upon the water takes a rather big dose of courage, faith and strength in the Lord who will catch or hold on. 



Then another thing that has caught my attention has been a recent survey within the America around catholic belief in the Eucharist. The report found that only one third of US Catholics agree with their church that Eucharist is body, blood of Christ. 

Hearing this I was rather a little taken back. Am I naive? This is a central teaching of Catholicism. What has happened to the church method of teaching… This thought track alone took me on a path of feeling that firstly there is no language that unifies us anymore. We are not speaking the same tongue or hearing the same teachings. There is not terminology or even imagery that is shared to give messages, or help break open teachings. Yes this language is hard to tap into given we change our language at alarming pace with new words, new trends. 
This also lead me to question again, where is the community element in all this. Okay we have 1/3 who are not either fully able to articulate their belief, have the understanding or whatever reason expressed they only believe in symbols. So where is the 2/3 of the body of people. Are they holding up the 1/3, where are the conversations and interactions. 

I personally know what it feels like to be in a room full of people who belief with depth and great spirit that before them is the Lords presences, truely is and to be called before this presence and consume it in a very physical manner. That moment after, that moment of Christ within, before, around and behind. That moment that soul seems to be in union, its powerful beyond words and limitations of imagery. 


I listened to Bishop Baron on youtube.. he had a very interesting take on it all. While he said about the teaching too needs accountability, yet he broke up the debate more than just making a blank statement. I don't want replay all he was saying, yet one thing that the conversation guided into was interconnectedness between the Eucharist and that of human behaviour. 

When you lose the pious devotional practices behind the belief, the belief soon there after evanescent... using the example of genuflecting when entering a church or before the Eucharist. When we stop doing this it has an effect on our belief about the Eucharist. The thing that really got me thinking was when Barron started to talk about how the body influences faith, our convictions. It is not just the mind is working at one level, the heart at another, yet it is all interconnected. Like our body signals to our soul what we are doing, walking into the presence of the Lord. When you take away theses physical practices then this changes our inner sense too. 

This really got me reflecting on my beliefs, my behaviours and how that cemented my beliefs. I recall when I use to go to OLOL - Our Lady of Lourdes parish, there every Friday evening I would go to adoration, I would spend the first hour on my knees, the physical action of kneeling before the Lord. Then the second hour I would sit or depending where my prayer was taking me, maybe read. I recall this act was in moments of connection to prayer, on a level that was deep, committed and certain in body and soul. 

I reflection on the difference I feel, experience when during mass I stand, not kneel or sit. I do belief that we are one body when coming together during the mass and should be in union, so if the body wishes to sit, then we do, or stand. We are resurrected people, we are not people of begging for the Lords mercy... that is worded blunt ... yet it is true, we are resurrected people so standing also indicates this. Kneeling at times I wonder what kind of God I am kneeling before, hierarchy always comes to mind, or high and mighty or very masculine God - dominance. 

Maybe there is something in all this, the physical actions, our connection to the soul, the way the church is unified and testify our faith. 

Food for thought... 










Comments

Popular Posts