Power of Perception



In recent days I have been alarmed at the power of perception. If your like me, and have sat at a coffee table listening to another explain the very event you witnessed too, you would notice their way of telling is often different to how you either saw it or would describe. 
In that moment you can see the difference a person’s perspective can make. Our perspective is more than a point - of - view, it’s how we perceive and process the world around us.  There is a deep beauty, deep grace surrounding this. 

In recent days I have been taken by the notion that I can choose to question, to grumble as I engage in routine demands or as I see it ‘correct’ the order of items, opposed to seeing this as an opportunity to serve my community. One perspective brings bitterness and dissatisfaction, while the other brings contentment. 
The task not changed rather I feel its a change from possibly operating out of the heart rather than head, or changing the head to work out of the positive opposed dwell on negative energy. 

Often Im taken back by the power of the brain, recently having so many eye test, I catch myself believing I can see a letter on the board when really I can not, rather my brain is filling in the gaps. What a gift this is, to a point. When I notice this I speak of it, saying that actually I can not really see yet my brain whats to say its letter... In the overall picture this might be a minor example, in the moment believe me its not minor. As if my brain can do this, change my perspective of seeing a few black lines to create a letter. Then what other things is it seeing or changing the shape of? Food for pondering, maybe its best I do not know! 

I remember one day driving and I had asked Sister a question. I can not recall the question, yet I do recall her answer. She polite said that if I envision there is a large house sitting in a paddock. This house has many entrance going to it, I can go from the west entrance up to the house and she could go from the south. When we arrive and describe what we have seen having two very different perspectives. Is one right over the other? Did we both see the same house? 

I love this small yet powerful insight, as it reminds me we all see things different and often can perceive to see the same. Rather than judging or been very quick tempered to correct, its time to listen and absurd the others view. 

This reveals just how simple our words can positivity shift the perspective of another, or self. Even one word can make a difference. I often find myself stumbling upon this at times in hesitation of sharing my heart, my perspectives. 
I know that it can be a spiritually powerful moment if our perspectives have the power to shape our attitudes, then there will be times we need to ask ourselves: Is my perspective biblical?

In Philippians 2:14-16, Paul reminds us that we shine like stars when we do the things in front of us without grumbling, holding to the word of life. 

I have concluded that we simply need to live a life that follows in Christ’s footsteps. We humble ourselves. We serve others. We complete the tasks we’re given without complaining. We do the things most people would wince at. And we do them with a glad heart. We don’t need to tell anyone about them, either. 

As a young twenty something I often struggle with the notion of been centre stage, actually I still do today. I take comfort to know its for some people while others can see the beauty and content in been behind the scenes. One down side is you often are not in the highlight to get the applause, taking bows under bright lights. Yet I find the deepest delight when I serve in hidden ways. 
This reminds me a little of Mary and Martha. Once again both living truth from their own truth resulting in different action. There is a deep beauty in this, a very deep beauty to be embraced, as I believe it only strengthens our relationship with the Lord in a way no one else can witness, no one else can influence. Its a beauty that the inner self must see to embrace... 
I'm not certain I agree with this quote,
however does make the wider picture seem so much different.






Comments

Popular Posts