Garden update ;o)

This post is a little for the Sisters to inform them of the status of the garden, yet everyone can enjoy looking at our small piece of paradise...

The garden is half going into winter and other half coming into spring. We have been hit by a few minus degree mornings which at first we didn't see coming resulting in a few plants suffering from frost bite. The two worst hit were the green scrub by the front door and sadly the plant Zena gave us, the red leaf one in the green pot. I have cut off the died parts and hoping by putting out of the exposure to get more early morning frost it will come to life again.



Our beloved orange tree is nearly there, we took off one orange when Eileen was here in hope of it been sweet and juicy however still was a little green at the base, leaving a rather sour after taste, safe to say we didn't give to her ;o)
This year I gave it some food and also more top soil around the base, it seems to be doing a little better, had curling of the leafs which left me a little concern, yet think it was just sunburnt from the extreme weather we are having - hot one day cold the next. Also noticed it does have a leaf fungi that I read about, looks like tiny snails have left tracks on its leaves, so will have to get a treatment spray for this. Easily fix, overall its going well I hope that there still will be a few for when I return from travels yet most likely ready when not here ;o) One might say this is Murphy's Law...


While talking about trees, Joan fig tree is going well. It is a picture of winter how Im sure most of the garden feels - bear and exposed. I have taken all the grass weeds out of the base and put down the soil stuff that was on the garden table going dry, then put lots of water followed by some straw. Its set for winter. Im not sure if you were here Anne when it was in bloom, Joan got a lot of figs off it this year I think only one or two got taken by the birds.



The area in front of the garden shed also doing well, I have add more soil and covered up the bulbs after they finished their cycle. I also put Joan plant in the pot there just so it gets water while we are all away and sun plus a little shade for those frosty mornings we are having. We can move back when she comes back.


  

The Roses are all cut back now, they are growing so tall each year. I also took some of the stones out the back replacing those coal stones that were here, it looks so much brighter and tidier. Plus its going to be a lot easier to maintain and weed when required. I put the stones on the other side too so we are all matching ;o)


This year I keep cutting off the chilli and giving them to Jolene, she has had about four bags of them. The trees have produced a lot. They are still going. I enjoy their delicate flowers that come into been the chilli.


The Casey Council were giving away plants - natives. We got some, I went with B so we could get twice as many. We got four in the end, plus I think Joan got two too. These are the natives, Ive made a little garden down the side, two are meant to attract butterflies while the other two are for caterpillars. Hopefully when fully grown they will add new life to the garden. They are all grow to be about meter by meter.
On the side of the garden shed there were those round circle pavers so I have put them down, easier to walk on to water the plants.
Also found some garden shade plastic tube things in the garden shed, so have placed around as we seem to have a cat who likes to use this new garden as its toilet stop! Not too impressed.


On the other side I have not done much yet, hoping to repeat this side and make a little feature garden as the soil is sooo good its a shame to just have stones sitting on it doing nothing. I keep looking out on the side of the road for peoples rubbish that can become our treasure to help build it, hoping to get a bird bath and maybe even a trellis to having a climbing plant to make a grand statement... yet all will come in time. For now the new little seedlings are enjoying their new home.







Under the window of the sitting room, there was that little area you use to plant tomatoes in I recall you telling me, I have put some flowers. I saw them when I picked up some soil on clearance for fifty cents. Thought they would come to life with a little love, and so they have. It is a nice bight dash of colour. I am trying to make a self watering system - the milk bottle - this is why its planted in the garden. It sort of works, as the rain only falls on the last two plants not coming into the rest of the garden. Its a cute little spot, we will see how it develops, the soil is not too deep for strong deep root systems to form which has been my only concern.



Because the weather here has been so randomly mixed, I think some of the garden has no idea that its winter, while other plants think its spring. We now have five and many more of the bulbs are coming up. B bought home some bulbs one day we placed a few more in the front garden and some in a pot at the back. The ones at the back have not flowered yet have come up, while these have flowered. Its nice to see them each morning as we walk outside to go to church ;o)

Well, for now that is all the garden information... good update ;o) hehe.




Comments

Popular Posts