A day as a tourist in the city


Today I was a tourist! I know right, after five months in the city I have finally gone into the centre of town! While Ho Chi Minh City is large in size, with nearly 9 million people living just in HCMC, it is hard to believe it has taken me this long to adventure beyond the two houses, church and path between!! 


We left early in the morning awaiting for a taxi to take us directly to the centre of town. Here we embarked upon a ‘hop on hop off’ bus. On the bus we had access to a talking commentary that gave a little more information about the sites around the city. Looking at maps and trying to get a sense of the way it is built, I was rather surprised how close together everything is and really how very small the city zone is. 

The former Saigon boasts charming French colonial architecture and wide boulevards, usually packed with traffic. Yet you can see in the buildings and some of the side walks this colonial style still present. Especially the Opera House. 

We sat on the bus going pass the skydeck tower, which I feel like every town in the world has one of these buildings. The truth is that there is a lot of smog in this city so why you would like to climb up all that way to see the evidence of the lack of care towards the environment, is a little beyond me. No offence to the city! 

We spotted Ben Thanh Market, which is the largest market in HCMC, purchasing anything and everything!! While we didn’t stop here today, it is on the list to return to simple walk about and see all the different things. While it is very tourist base, this the reason for establishing it, there is a sense of gathering an insight into the tribal arts from around Vietnam. I will return here one day. 

We went past the pier, which just like looked like any pier. I didn’t dwell too much on the site, I feel my mind a little close as all it wants to see is ocean, vast expanses of water. Summer mode ;o) 

On Sunday we are going to the Notre Dame Cathedral, so I will update you on that then. Plus we are going to see the Tet flower street, post office among a few other sites. I’ll keep you posted. 

We went past the Independence Palace, that Rosie has been and said it was rather bias, not worth the funds to get in. 
After this was the history museum! We hop off the bus and spent the next two hours walking around. 

When walking in we realised that it would be helpful if there was someone telling us a little about what we were looking at. So we went on search for a English speaking guide and tap on to the end of the group. 
There is much history to tell, it is divided into two areas, first display of Vietnamese history from the Prehistoric period to Nguyen dynasty. Second display area held cultures from Southern provinces and various Asian countries. 

It was interesting to learn more about the country, the people certain do hold something of this in their identity, apart of the story the country has written. I was rather taken back by some of the similarities between that of the Vietnamese people especially in the early centuries and that of the Maori people, at times of the Aboriginal people also. It seems to me that there is a similarity, unknown possibly to the people of the time, yet a way of life that was reproduced in all different parts of the world. All adding a unique favour on their ways of living. For example, there was the statues that are craved placed near a burial site. Maori have this tradition, Aboriginal have the poles they do the same.
Musical instruments always take me, with the creative way people come up with using mother nature to produce a different tone. Its rather creative while at the same time similar to other cultures. 




The writing from the early 600 was very interesting to see how much it has changed. It went from this creative like art form, to the Chinese characters then onto the latin alphabet which is used today with a few alternations. 



The other thing that I found soooo interesting is the stone carving. Now, in my journey of life I have seen a lot of things craved, yet for whatever reason today it stood out for me. The detail, the amazing texture, smoothness of the stone, the depth and the pure joy just to look the image before knowing that someone out of great love to leave an impression that was within them, has spent hours cutting away the stone. There is just something very mystical and yet so revealing all at the same time. 


While walking around we came across a show, the folk traditional Vietnamese puppet show. So we went in and watched. It was done in water, with people behind. While in my research I knew this is a traditional form of entertainment for lack of better describing. It was a delight to see one, even though very small show, it was still a delight. 

The show was about a man who was a duck farmer. He came into trouble when a cat wants to take his ducks, so he had to chase the cat away. While clearly a little is lost in translation, this is a story about creation and human. Its a story about the relationship between nature and mankind. Sorry I can't explain more of the depth to it, yet one day hopefully I will be able to translate for myself ;o) 



After the history Museum we eat a meal together then went on a search for a garden. It just happen the garden was tied into the zoo. 
We stood there debating a little if it was worth going in, as I express that my experience in all Asian countries is that zoo are really heavy on the heart, with animal treatment the last propriety and often concrete a replacement for grass. While I dearly hope Vietnam can prove me wrong I’m sad to express this is not the case. 
There was a garden here though, it was a beautiful garden with so many flowers and great sense of bird life present. Was it worth witnessing the cruelty towards the animals, I’m not too sure. 

I dont want to retell the whole experience, yet I’ll leave you with image of the sunflowers which I dearly love as they always make my heart jump with joy and delight. The way they peel back to reveal in bright colours a sense of “here I am, look at me, look what our Creator did” Its just a delight to witness. 
There was also a butterfly garden, which I took a video and hopefully can upload… 


   

So.. in all the day was balanced with education and nature. It was a great delight to get out and explore a little of the city that I have been present in. There is so many questions and much research now for me to do. While I am thankful for getting the opportunity to travel and explore, I sort of question myself why I have waited so long.

Anyhow, the coming days there will be more tourist things on the cards and also we have tet about to be upon us… its all go. … many adventures and hopefully I can keep up with the blogging. 




Comments

Popular Posts