A little glimpse into life at the moment.

Rhythm of life is starting to take shape as the body, mind and rested soul adjust to the changes of living. I have re-embraced the attitude I once held dear when younger to never say no to anything! There are so many lessons to learn and much more blessings received. Safe to say that saying no to invitations is a full time commitment. 

This month I hope to take up tutoring in some form to get language lessons, this is to be broken open in conversation as a community. I was hoping to have language exchange with a girl from “minority" - which means lives in a low socio-economic place - this though has not yet came to life due to timetables! In the mean time I have embrace what is available to me, learning online while hard to know my pronunciation it has given me great insight into reading, gramma and simply been able to understand the conversations around me a lot clearer with identifying words. I have started to memorise mass parts, got all the ‘one liners’ down! Plus of course the two English words in the whole mass - Amen and Alleluia hehe. 

English tutoring is challenging using American English books, while my English is far from American - even with the misleading accent I hold. Its rewarding to see how dialogue is broken open, while the limitations are also still present. Time though, all good things take time and effort. 

In December there is ordinations for the Jesuit community who have members coming from all over the world to be present for it. Our community has been asked to be members of the choir, joining with another congregation to sing at the mass. The girls invited me to also sing with them, so memorising the music is a daily practice at the moment. Its strange to think that I am skipping the part about learning the language and jumping into the music side, however on another level no surprise really, lets be honest its very ME. 


On Friday we have community mass and shared meal. This week I offered to cook to give the girls a little more rest time, as they have lectures and mission.  A feast I try to cook for them, working around the ingredients that are present here. It was an experience! 
Making corn fritters, which was not as easy as going to the cupboard, getting flour, baking powder, milk, corn etc. Everything is in primary form, meaning the corn have to take off the cob, the flour - well this was a mission we went searching and found at the Korean supermarket. 
For the main dishes made stir-fry veggies with tofu, for the sauce simply used soya sauce with a few herds to enrich the mix. Coca Cola chicken, which I just learnt from youtube. Then a mango prawn salad - thank you countdown website for the recipe, along with rice, plus to top off this menu, I attempted to make New Zealand lollie cake. NOW that was a mission, as there is none of the main ingredients here, malt biscuits - nope, hard marshmallow like lollies - nope. Anyhow, we got something that sort of worked, yet I don’t think we will be making again. Good thing I got one of the girls to buy some fruit too - just incase became a case!!
Over-all everyone eat all the food so something must have been right. It made me miss the familiar taste that Im use to, when served the rice noodle in hot water soup with no veggies the next night it was a very different menu that is for sure!! 

Coconut for lollie cake - had to prepare and toast ...
oh how all the work not done for me ;o) 


This a little glimpse into life…. Hard to believe I have been here a month already. On Thursday I move to another community! The whole time been here I have had a friend in my room. While at times I try to block out with awareness that sleep will not come, the other night it got caught in the air conditioner when I turn on, only to fall down to the floor - small scream aaaa then then bang spray!! While I don't normally enforce killing bugs as I do believe they all have a purpose, in my bedroom is not the place for bugs, especially these American Size ones that are ewwwwww. 
Above this though, life continues, living out of a suitcase is going to remain until early next year with guest coming and moving houses, all part of the adventures we hold in living life. There is a sense of excitement in all this, the unknown. While at times its easy to get unsettled with this, there is though a comfort in the unknown, in embracing the sun as it rises and giving thanks when it sets. What a great simple way of living. 


Florist



May the Lords love always reflect back to you 

Comments

Popular Posts