Season changes once again



Past few days I have had moments to ‘breath’, there is still a lot on the life agenda however moment of rest is required. I was walking around the lake and at home in the garden noting how much new growth has happened. I’m always in awe of how God works for our good even through the most difficult changes and arduous seasons of life. Looking down upon this miracle of the new green growth, I thought about one of my own. 

I am not certain if I have come to a full peace with the notion of seasons. Sometimes it hard to hold back the tears at the moving, the shift of people around me, the change that happens within. Memories are beautiful, powerful, strengthen yet sometimes there is nothing like the richness that is presented before us. 

Religious life is anything but static, I can express that much. I find myself reflecting during the past few weeks on the movement within, the outer movement and sensing so much more movement on the horizon. It is easy to feel at times a storm approaching however, what is a storm when the Lord holds you in His hands. 

While saying this, there is also a gentle calling, a whisper, a notion of trust. I look back at times that seem so busy, busy with nothingness, busy with searching for new direction. I made countless to-do lists, set alarm clocks and deadlines ,which were often self made. I tried to seek Him out so I could listen to what He wanted me to do. I wrestled with earthly ‘convictions’, frantically looked for more ways to serve, wanting desperately to hear His next command. Instead, I heard His voice… 

Beloved, my dear child. 

No, God, not that. I know You love me, but what can i do to show this?

Chosen. 

Why? What journey are you choosing me for? What mission am I set upon. 

Enough. 

It takes a while for my heart to listen and mind to understand. He was holding my heart and teaching it to be still and know that I was loved, and chosen, even when I wasn’t chasing after daily goals or larger ambitions. He saw the frustration and the tears, the breakdowns and vulnerability, and kept whispering trust as He held me a little closer. 

While I was learning how to rest and find my identity in Him, He was quietly planting seeds to sprout when when the season changed. I cannot see what will grow yet, my Maker who loves me more than to overwhelm my soul with change and direction. He waited and created time for my soul to rest so it could resonate His truths again - not with the sharp, dry sounds of winter but with the natural and warm amplifications of a season fit for flowering. 

“Yes my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him” (Psalm 62:5) 

Change. None of us like. It’s different. It’s uncomfortable. 

I wonder if Moses felt the same way the first time he left Egypt?
Fleeing for his life, he left everything he ever knew and loved. He left the comforts of the familiar for the bitter taste of the unfamiliar and ended up on the far side of a desert tending sheep for the better part of 40 years. A slight detour from his purpose of delivering his people, from slavery. (Exodus2:15-23) 

He probably thought this is it. The end of the road. I wonder if he made him sad?

But it was only a season!. A new beginning actually. 

And that’s the way it is.



Seasons come and seasons go. Some are grand, and frankly some are grim. Some we wish would never end. Some we feel never will and we wish they would. Some seasons are messy while others are just plain messed up. 

Though these changing seasons may appear chaotic at times, God has a reason for every season in our life. Each one with its own purpose builds on the last and prepares us for the next. 
Just as God tilts nature, changing fall to winter, winter to spring to reflect His glory sprouting new growth, He allows our world to tilt a little to bring about changes in us that we might be better reflections of Him. There is a unique rhythm to it all. God’s perfect timing. God’s perfect plan. 

Seasons push us towards our purpose notwithstanding the detours we take along the way. And even in those, God works them together for our good. For it’s from these detours we learn that the most powerful lessons often come out of the most painful places. 

Maybe you feel like you just took a detour to the far side of a desert or perhaps you locked the door on what you thought were the best years of your life. Take heart dear friend, change isn’t bad its just different and necessary for new growth. 

We may not be able to fathom the scope of God’s mighty plan, but this we can trust. God knows where we are and where we need to be. Bring our personal GPS, He’s calculated our time and distance and knows our ETA. And you can be sure He’s working for us, in us and through us, to get us there. 

“Yet God has made everything beautiful in its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, 
but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning end.” 

Ecclesiastes 3:11

Comments

Popular Posts