Lamb and Priest



Can you believe its two weeks into December already?
As my fingers type my plan was to be letting my feet run me up a mountain rangers right now. However, the heavens have opened, the wind is sweeping over the valley and my body has not shaken a chest cough. Therefore, the little voice of wisdom kicked in asking if running up a mountain today was the best plan. 

On receiving an email back from a friend she made a comment at the bottom - 

Remember it was very hectic for Mary leading up to the birth of Jesus too……

Advent this year, is very busy, abnormally busy, more busy than the limiting four letter word can portray. We have gatherings to celebrate the years journey together with different groups - family groups, companions, preschool group, music group, womens group, school, and so forth. Then there is the extras like school masses, graduations, music performances, shows, carols and more masses. 

This reminder from a friend is a gentle spoken word to the heart, to remember the importance of this time of ‘waiting’ while so easily getting caught in the comings and goings of the calendar events. 

At the start of the advent period I was set on thinking about the words “No room in the Inn” 
I have this cute little paper cut out that looks at me on my wall when I sit at my desk, a man, holding his lamp and sign saying 'no room'. 
This Christmas season I have been thinking about the Lamb of God. It has occurred to me that Jesus was born in a stable not because there was no room in the Inn. Jesus was born in a stable because that is where lambs are born. “Lamb of God, take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us” - I say these words every day at mass, everyday!! God had that planned from the beginning of time… I love these little nuggets, its like God loves irony… 

Another deep struggle of mine in this advent season is PRIEST. Yes that’s right, priest, what does this even mean, what is the role, what is the difference between priest and say I or you, what does the term mean today opposed to even ten years ago. Has the Church drifted from the “perfect Priest” ? Can a priest bring you closer to Christ or even pull you away? 
Does society have to be accountable for the misconception of the actions of a few in their understanding or view of this role in todays church??

Christ remains my perfect Priest today. He sits at the right hand of God, 'ruling' over all creation. All that the Father has given will come to Him, and He will not lose any of His own. He draws us into worship, He cares for our spiritual lives, and He continues to make intercession for us…. 

As I reflect back on my understand and image of the term, I am drawn back to history class, that I have to admit was a not a strong subject for me. All those names, dates and stories were woefully uninteresting to me at the time, which seems like a tragedy now that I know better. Its only through travel, story telling and listening to loved ones talk about their countries history, that makes me realise everything is important to understand as in a unique complex way is so interwoven into who we are today, not only as individuals yet as community, as a nation. 

I guess its a common misconception when you are young and invincible - that what happened in the past no longer affects us in the present. Besides, the present is exciting and entertaining and alive. Why spend time talking about past??

When I joined religious life, through observation and a little tender advice from another religious to always ensure the congregation are reflective and embracing of their history. Not only of the achievements, yet of the hardships, the lessons and the way the congregation grew. Through reflecting on this they are empowered to live in the present moment, meeting the needs around them while nourishing each other on the journey to know Christ deeper, more alive. By achieving both of these would mean that looking forward with hope, with energy and delight that the Holy Spirit would continue to guide them. All this Im extremely proud to say that our congregation does. 

Reflecting now, I wonder if I take this approach with Jesus...  Do I even want to admit, not just to myself yet with you all!?! I think of His life in the past tense, how He lived and how He died, how He rose from the grave, triumphant over death. But then I hit the pause button, and there the risen Jesus stays - frozen in a cloud, mid - ascension, twiddling His glorified thumbs. 

As Jesus is not finished!!
His work on the cross is finished - it is perfect and complete (John 19:30) But His work as our Great High Priest continues. Jesus was the perfect Priest who became the spotless sacrifice, but His priesthood is ongoing. Christ died to save us, and now He lives to intercede for us before the Father (Hebrews 7:25)

There are so many scripture verses that refer to the way Jesus was a Priest …. 
He shepherds us even now, fulfilling the promise that none of His children will be snatched out of His hand (John 10:29) 
He knows our weakness, as He Himself experienced humanity in its fullness but did not sin (Hebrews 4:15) 
And just as He saved us” once for all” by His death on the Cross (Hebrews 9:12) 
He saves us still, granting grace and mercy on our advocate before God and our admittance into God’s presence (1John 2:2)

We don’t hope today in a static story about a commendable dead guy!! We hope today in the reality of the risen Christ - our forever Priest who is as alive today as He was when He walked out of the grave. 

Our priest has become our brother. (Hebrews 2:11) The call to be holy - to be imitators of our holy God - is not an idle request; it is a reality of the reception being worked out in us by our Great High Priest. (1Peter 1:15) This is the unmatched, unlimited grace of the Lord who has saved us fully and is saving us still. 

Today as I sat in mass, it was hard not to offer the worship to the "perfect" Priest who became the perfect sacrifice - the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world and intercedes for us before the Father. (John 1:9) 
Its a reminder for me that any man trying to imitate this Priest has to have a deep relationship with Christ before that overflows onto the community he stands before in the moment to represent Christ. When this relationship is not nourished or seems to be a little diverted it falls back onto those who learn from "perfect" Priest to reflect back onto that man, leading by example and exemption to try and offer a side road to be in aline with Christ once again. While in the mean time, to keep focus on the Priest, never leave his sight nor nourishment. 










Comments

Popular Posts