Abraham and Hospitality


Last night as we sat together at the dinner table, I could not help my eye glance over at the empty seat. In the moment I felt a slight awareness of the emptiness as Sister is away, then took comfort to know that Jesus would be sitting there - like a child that set the table with the bold invitation for Jesus to be the guest. 

This boldness though, leads me to question would it would mean to receive Jesus with hospitality and generosity? At times I feel its so important to reflect on what it means to prepare space at our table, in our home, in our lives, into which Jesus can come. 

Today refection interweaves into these thoughts, been enlightened by Abraham visit of the “divine visitors”.(Genesis 18:1-15) As the scripture retells the visit there is altering in language with reference to the singular and plural. This leaves me with the thought the connection to Trinity is part of the focus. I get the sense that it would be easy to believe Abraham didn’t recognise the identity of the three men, personally, I believe he did recognise the identity after a moment. To respond with great zeal to the visitors asking to please let a little water be brought and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree; and I will bring a piece of bread, that you may refresh yourselves…. 

There is a real witness to hospitality one might say, with these acts so simple and yet so profound! Abraham sitting at the entrance of his tent; translating this into today it would be more like sitting in a chair on a shady verandah. When he looks up to see the three standing nearby his reaction was one that would not happen today - maybe a casual greeting of ‘G’day might be exchanged. There would be no running from the entrance of the ‘tent’ to meet them and bow to the ground. 

With great warmth and irresistible delicacy Abraham welcomes his visitors and begs them to stay. He minimises the trouble they will cause him and offers a little water and a little bread but then goes off to prepare loaves, meat, milk and cream - he has the bread freshly bakes and chooses a calf which is fine and tender. 
This display of excitement as well as eagerness to serve his guests is evident. He hastened to find Sarah and tell her to hurry and make loaves. Then running to the cattle he chose a calf and the servant hurried to prepare it. 
Food in hand he goes to the three men and spreads all before them. While they eat Abraham remains standing, a sign of respect as well as of readiness to spring into action should they need something more. 

For all the hurrying and running there is never a sense of ‘breathlessness’ in this account. Abraham remains peaceful and in control, whether he is doing the serving or standing by as his guest dine. It is clear that Abraham considers all that he does as a welcoming of the three visitors, as an expression of his hospitality. 

I am left feeling I have much to learn from Abraham. In my upbringing hospitality was never something I engaged with, as a reality was we didn’t have visitors to the house. When I joined the church I recall witnessing the beauty that hospitality offered, there is a magical spark that is present like you serve and be served both at the same time. 

I recall also learning the importance of greeting, when I was staying with dearest family, they told me the deep impact of this simple yet very tender act of love. This has over flow into my life, been embraced in all forms to the degree I feel that even giving a smile to stranger can change their day beyond measure. Here in Australia if travelling during the day on the bus, I am often in company of beautiful women from different cultures, and the simple act of acknowledging them, smiling you can see makes a large difference. 



My final point of reflection is on Sarah. In this scripture we get to see how tender and loving Jesus is. Sarah I can relate to on a few levels, while I think most people can. That tender gift from Jesus is one that I treasure…  It reminds me of this comic strip from Peanuts. My best friend use to read these comics continuously while they offer too little words and too many pictures for my taste. There was a recurring story line int hem, of Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown to kick. Each time she pulls it away at the last second, causing him to fall on his backside. One year Lucy solemnly promised Charlie Brown that this time she wouldn’t pull the ball away. Thus encouraging Charlie to take a long run up to the ball, then to only have her pull it away at the last second. As he lays on the ground with a dazed look, Lucy peered down at him and said - “Charlie Brown, your faith in human nature is an inspiration to all young people” 



Comments

Popular Posts